1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Damn Ram dont fit in!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gloryninja, Jan 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gloryninja

gloryninja Thread Starter

hi just bought a new computer
    and wanted an upgrade for £40 for another 512 MB Stick... they gave it to me personally and they tested it... since i had no problems installin ram before i said ill install it rather wasting £15 on installation fee... when i got home tried putting the ram inside and did not fit at all... one part goes in and the other does not... currently it got 512mb ram but starts up with 445mb??? for some reason but really need help... could it be the wrong ram? i tried both side did not work... and tried other slots...

2. bonk

bonk Banned

I would say if it doesn't physically fit then sounds like the wrong Ram.

Thats normal your Video card may be using some

Do you know what you have in there at the moment for memory what type?

3. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    has it got intergrated graphics that would explan the 445

not sure abourt why the memory will not fit

4. Leec65

Leec65

Pull your old ram out and put it side by side with the other ram stick and look at the bottom and see if it match

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Not having any information about your system it sounds like you are trying to install DDR2 Ram into DDR slots or vice versa. System specs would help us a lot. Like Motherboard make and model, Processor, or if a big box system the make and model number of the manufacturer and system.

6. gloryninja

well really dont know much as if i dont have internet installed on new computer which ALSO DONT WORK :mad::mad: lol...

but i got a Windows Xp Home 2002 - going to upgrade
    DDR ram 512
    256 Mb graphics card Geforce Nvidia which looks built in as i could not see a graphics card when i opened my computter...

7. Leec65

Leec65

have you pulled out the old ram to match with the new to see if they are the same?

8. gloryninja

yes done that

9. Leec65

Leec65

where they the same

10. gloryninja

yes they were

11. Leec65

Leec65

the only other thing i can think of that the new one is just a hair long and if so you can file off some on one end or the other to get it to fit

12. brite750

brite750

take to a shop before you break something, trying to force a ram stick in a slot is like trying to hammer a nail into your own head, you will fry the ram, the motherboard, etc., take the system in and pay the $15

13. gloryninja

ill go saturday,.. thanks... i have another problems with intnert check my tpic i made about tht

14. brite750

brite750

yeah its very hard to trouble shoot something like this if its the right ram it should go in, you line up in the slot with the ram facing the right way, line up notches, those end clips have to be open of course, you apply even pressure to the top of the ram, it goes down and flips up those end clips, snaps into place, if youve done it before, its easy as pie, if the 1st time, its scary because it does take some pressure.

15. Rich-M

Rich-M

Are you able to see the ram sl;ot and move both of the holders down and really see to fit the stick in the slot? The only times I have ever struggled are on brand name pc's where the towers are small and cramped and you cannot really see both ends of the slot at the same time.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538029

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice