1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Damn W2K

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by BASICNEEDS, Oct 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BASICNEEDS

BASICNEEDS Thread Starter

I've searched but I can't seem to find an answer to this question... I have a computer that I just did a clean install of W2k professional on and was previously W98. I hate W2k so I want to clean install XP Home.

I've tried the disk & boot disk of 98 and Home. I did learn from this forum that there's a NTFS and FAT conflick between 2K and everything else. But how the heck do I get to the point where I can install XP. I read that I should search kazaa for Partition Magic? But then what? I've tried to change CMOS to boot from floppy and CD Rom and neither gets me to the reformat screen.

If I get partition magic will this help? Also, can someone tell me what to do once I get this software?

Arrgg

2. mcse72

mcse72

If I understand you correctly, you want to do a clean install of XP but can't format the drive. All you need to do is to boot from the XP CD and choose the install option, delete all the drives (if more than one), like the fdisk command, when you get to that option. Then create the partition you'll be installing XP on. It then will automatically begin formating the drive for you. Partition Magic is meant to take a drive and "seperate" it into different partitions, that's not what you need if I understood you right.

3. mobo

mobo

And be weary of Kazaa or you'll likely be here looking for other fixes for that program's payload. ;)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169477

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice