Dangers of Dust

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sup2a

I recently have come a cross countless posts and threads of computers (and components) overheating, but people are unable to find the source oft he problem, I recently saw my Temps of computer 2 on the list Compaq Presario skyrocket to over 60c i figured it was probably the HSF on my CPU, sure enough it was caked with dust just take a look at this:

http://forums.techguy.org/album.php?albumid=131
Unfortunately i was unable to get a picture of my other computer's HSF which was overheating a few months back, it was even heavier dust, remember when you clean your HSF off, use a lint free cloth, a toothbrush or a paint brush work well too. If its a few months since you last did it, replace the Thermal grease too, make sure to be careful not to leave ANY lint, fingerprints or any residue.
Dust is also a serious danger to any components, it can cause shorts on the PCBs causing damage not only overheating
This is seemingly a common problem amongst people lately, just thought i might put this out there.

sup2a

Its been around 1-2 years... completely forgot about this computer... yea i have 2 whippets, they don't lose much hair though.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online