1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DAQ on Windows Media Player streaming to Smart TV

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by tonyacardo, Nov 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tonyacardo

tonyacardo Thread Starter

If I buy a "Smart" TV it will be internet enabled. So my WiFi will find it and I can use WMP to stream movies from my computer's HD to the television.
    So all I would need to buy is a "Smart TV" and the rest should happen fairly easily.

PC World has this article that explained it:
    https://www.pcworld.com/article/236...edia-from-your-pc-to-your-hdtv-over-wifi.html

I just need my hand held on the "Smart TV" deal.
    Will any TV that is internet enabled be able to do this. Does it have to specifically call itself a "Smart TV"?
    If I do it this way do I need Roku or Hulu or something else (I am an Amazon Prime member, I think their stuff streams too)

Do I need to buy a bunch of extra stuff or will a "Smart TV" let me play stuff on my hard disk to my television?

Also, how bad are the speakers on "Smart TVs"? Do you really need a sound bar or will the the speaker built in be good enough? Currently I use a Sanyo TV, it is very large but only has a 27 inch screen. It has a tube in the back and only connections for cable or RCA jacks. The video is finally slipping enough I am going to replace it.
    Anyway, the speakers on the Sanyo are plenty good, will a "Smart TV" have comparable speakers or do I really need the sound bar. (I am going to buy about a 40 inch Smart TV on Black Friday or Cyber Monday, depending on if WMP will work or not, hopefully a 40 incher will have some sort of speaker.

(I picked this forum because of the WMP, but I may have gotten a little off topic)

Also, I assume if I have WMP cast itself to the "Smart TV" it will also take the sound for the movie with the picture and it will all come out of the television AND that I will still be able to do normal work on my computer with WMP casting in the background.

Thank you for considering this question.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Most all new TV's are "Smart TV's". Your WiFi won't "find" your TV, the TV will show you all of the wifi networks which it can see, and you will then program the TV to log into your wifi network.

Any services such as Netflix, Hulu, Prime, etc. will have an app which will run on the TV and will stream the content directly to the TV across the network to which it is connected (ie: your wifi network). I've not used WMP for TV viewing, so I can't comment on how it works or how well it works. For pulling files from my server I use Plex.

Speakers vary by brand and model. I don't know what you consider good audio quality, but frankly, stereo speakers have never been very good, and the speakers in new TV's are now smaller than years past because the TV are now so thin. I would suggest getting the TV and deciding for yourself. They work well enough for normal TV viewing, for movie watching I use a surround sound system.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1219390

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice