1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dark monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by papa1947, Jan 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. papa1947

papa1947 Thread Starter

Hi, I took out the video card to get the name off of it for driver download and put it back in. Now when I turn on the computer the monitor is dark. I've tried to reseat the cars several times and still no video. any suggestions!! Could it be the video card went bad. It's a windows 98 system.

Thanks
    Larry

2. Lurker1

Lurker1

Its possible that you may have zapped the card with static when you took it out. Also some video card like agp cards are very had to seat and may require several trys to get it in correctly. Try using a good light to see if it is all the way into the slot.
    Finally you may just have knocked something loose when you were inside the case. Try reseating the nearby boards and anything else that is near the area you were working on. Any error code beeps occuring on power up?

3. papa1947

papa1947 Thread Starter

yes there is 1 long and 2 short when turning it on...its an AWARD BIOS

4. Lurker1

Lurker1

Well that doesn't look good. You may need to buy a new video card to try out.
    Here is the listing for that code.

Video adapter error
    Either video adapter is bad or is not seated properly. Also, check to ensure the monitor cable is connected properly.

5. papa1947

papa1947 Thread Starter

hi....stuck in a different card and works!!! Do u have any idea where to find drivers for a S3 video card? All I can get is 16 colors and 480x640 resolution.

Thanks Larry

6. Lurker1

Lurker1

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114917

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice