1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dark monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by astrosandy, Oct 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. astrosandy

astrosandy Thread Starter

My 17" CompUSA monitor turned dark, but not blurry. If it was a gradual process I didn't notice(?!) I thought it was the monitor, but I then hooked up a well working monitor and it went haywire (dark and lined like a tv with poor reception). I moved the once good monitor back to its home and after a couple of minutes it restored to its beautiful self.

But I'm still stuck was a dark monitor on my computer. The brightness adjustment is as high as I can set it.

What could be the problem? I've looked at the threads but it doesn't exactly address my situation.

Thank You!

2. Kazrath

Kazrath

Adjust the brightness/contrast ect not in the monitor settings but in the video card settings in your display properties.

This should allow you to adjust it back to a usable brightness

(I had this issue also with my 3 year old Viewsonic 19" crt)

That should do the trick

Good luck.

3. rmay635703

rmay635703

Hmm, I had that happen just before my video card died altogether, if you have an old pci video card laying around take out your current one and replace it IFF adjusting the video card brightness/gamma properties dont work

If a new video card fixes the problem you know what it was.

Cheers

4. astrosandy

astrosandy Thread Starter

Problem solved!

I got another monitor after trying the dark monitor on a computer that I knew had a good video card.

Thanks for your suggestions. you are appreciated!

5. KeithKman

KeithKman

I was going to say the monitor was dieing. You beat me to it. ;)

6. TeknoSiS

TeknoSiS

I don't know if I should post a new thread or not but here goes. I'm having the same problem. I have an old Pentium machine I mess around with, and it's got a monitor that is horribly dark. Oh, and I run DOS, no gamma settings :D

I think some of the pins on the VGA cable are missing, but I think there are a couple that are supposed to be, right?

I brought my main monitor down and tested it, and, sure enough, it worked fine, though I couldn't test the cable, because on my main monitor, you cannot replace the cable. (Smart move HP. :/ )

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168810

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice