1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dark red pixels on OLED screen

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by cfischer83, Dec 20, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. cfischer83

cfischer83 Thread Starter

I've tried to look for what this is called but I can't come up with a definition. It's not "dead" pixels or "stuck" pixels as far as I can tell, but in a section of my TV certain red pixels are darker than others. This occurs on all inputs. It does not happen on blue or green. I thought it happened on yellow but only lighter, but after looking into it, yellow is just a combination of red & green so I'm fairly confident that it's only an issue with red pixels.

I've had this issue since I got the TV 14 months ago, but I barely noticed so I didn't care. Over the last month or two it's gotten more noticeable.

My TV is: LG 65" Class (64.5" Diag.) 4K Ultra HD OLED TV (I believe model OLED65B6P)

Here's what I've tried:
    1. Changing inputs
    2. Changing cables
    3. Doing a full-on "pixel refresher" that LG provides
    4. Cleaning the screen gently :)
    5. Running through dead/stuck pixel software
    Absolutely no change after these attempts.

Here's a close up picture. It should be solid red.

Any ideas on how to fix it, or do I need to send it to the manufacturer?
    [​IMG]

2. sivartk

sivartk

First Name:
    Travis
  3. cfischer83

Thank you for the response! The shape of the pixels isn't in any particularly recognizable shape and I don't think we've left it on for any long period of time (it's right in the center of the TV). Would burn in only affect red pixels? I'll read your article and post again if anything stands out.

4. cfischer83

I read the article and I'm a little suspicious of it being burn in. It almost looks like a blotch in the center (in the photo I posted above) and fades out into an hourglass pattern up and down the screen. It's always the same shape and has only gotten worse over time, but doesn't get better or worse with regular usage.

5. sivartk

sivartk

First Name:
    Travis
    True burn in (which OLED - like Plasma and CRT) can happen. Where it is permanent. Not sure if that is it or not. Some OLED's have separate LED's for red green and blue for each pixel so it could be just one color causing the issue. I'm still learning about OLED's as I want to upgrade my TV but the size I want (75"+) is still out of my budget.

It sounds like it is out of warranty, but you could do one of two things.
    • If you bought with a credit card they may have extended the warranty for an additional year if you have that perk on your card
    • You can look to see if there were any recalls on your particular model.
    Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like something you can fix. :cry:

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!