1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dark Screen in Dell Inspiron Laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bboeri, Aug 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bboeri

bboeri Thread Starter

I have a Dell Inspiron laptop running WinXP. When I boot it up, the screen is bright but then goes dark immediately after. I can see the desktop, but juct barely. When I close the lid and open it, it momentarily stays bright but then goes dark again. Does anyone have a suggestion for what is wrong and how to correct it? I have the power settings set so that thwe screen never turns off or hibernates and the batter is fully charged (happens when it is plugged in also). Thanks for the help.

Bob

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Sounds like a failing inverter or backlight. Its not going to be a setting but hardware that'll need to be replaced. How old is the laptop? Any warranty?

3. bboeri

bboeri Thread Starter

The computer is not under warranty and about 4 years old. If I lower the lid and raise it again, the screen comes on for about 5 seconds then goes dark. If I play with it like this repeatedly I can sometimes get it to stay on. Is this something that I can fix by myself and if so, how. Thanks for the help.

Bob

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

I don't know much about laptop repairs but doesn't it sound like a wire or something simple if moving the lid makes it work ok?

5. bboeri

bboeri Thread Starter

How do I tell if it is the backlight or inverter? How do I replace these? Thanks.

Bob

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/608735

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice