1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dashcam files inaccessible, unsupported codec

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by katrienexo, Nov 17, 2019.

1. katrienexo

katrienexo Thread Starter

I've had my dashcam for a few weeks now and I've been viewing and deleting the files fine. After today, all the files are inaccessible and this message pops up in Media Player. I've tried opening them in VLC.. I've tried converting the files to AVI with no avail. I can't change the settings in Media Player to automatically find codecs because I have an older version and can't update it. I don't know what to do now.

Attached Files:

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi katrienexo, and welcome to TSG.

Does the dashcam have a built-in viewing screen? If so, can you play new videos on it OK?

If the files are inaccessible how is Windows Media Player able top access the files to report they cannot be played?

Are you able to connect the camera to your computer and view its contents with Windows File Explorer? If so, are you able to download the video files to the computer?

Do the video file names have any extensions and about how large are some of the files?

Lastly, it would probably help us to help you if you told us the manufacturer and full model number of the dashcam.

3. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    The cam should have come with software for viewing and editing the files. Only the supplied software will work.

Unless you see it noted in the User Manual that you can view/edit the files using a standard media player (I've not seen any that allow this), it's not going to work.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1235791

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice