1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dat 5859 unbootable & C:drive now pkback# 001

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by critter8it, Apr 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. critter8it

critter8it Thread Starter

Okay,

I had that McAfee debacle dat 5859 update nightmare. Their fixes all include booting into safe mode...which I couldn't do, but it wouldn't have mattered since the solution also asks you to do things that require functionality that is no longer available to you anyway.

but i digress.

After waiting 2 hours for tech support at McAfee, the tech spent 20 minutes trying to get the machine to boot into any mode.. that's right, I can't boot at all now... and while waiting for a boot sequence to (fail) again, he hung up on me.

Now I thought I would just try to repair the installation from XP Pro CD, not the original, which is the french version also - I just can't find the cd since I'm also in the middle of a move :eek:!

I select "repair" option...and skipping all the screens in between, ultimately I get to see the drive listings where I see that the drive is now labeled pkback# 001.

Since the "repair" installation is giving me dire warnings about overwriting the windows directory (but not my old data files) instead of what I would expect a "repair" to do, and since the drive has this weird name...

I am now just too freaked out to continue on my own.

please help.

Critter

PS I'm almost positive I have an i386 and sp2 on an external drive if needs be to slipstream an installation CD or at least grab sys files...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919489

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice