dat 5859 unbootable & C:drive now pkback# 001

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

critter8it

Okay,

I had that McAfee debacle dat 5859 update nightmare. Their fixes all include booting into safe mode...which I couldn't do, but it wouldn't have mattered since the solution also asks you to do things that require functionality that is no longer available to you anyway.

but i digress.

After waiting 2 hours for tech support at McAfee, the tech spent 20 minutes trying to get the machine to boot into any mode.. that's right, I can't boot at all now... and while waiting for a boot sequence to (fail) again, he hung up on me.

Now I thought I would just try to repair the installation from XP Pro CD, not the original, which is the french version also - I just can't find the cd since I'm also in the middle of a move :eek:!

I select "repair" option...and skipping all the screens in between, ultimately I get to see the drive listings where I see that the drive is now labeled pkback# 001.

Since the "repair" installation is giving me dire warnings about overwriting the windows directory (but not my old data files) instead of what I would expect a "repair" to do, and since the drive has this weird name...

I am now just too freaked out to continue on my own.

please help.

Critter

PS I'm almost positive I have an i386 and sp2 on an external drive if needs be to slipstream an installation CD or at least grab sys files...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online