1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dat file ????????

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by sasilasi, Jan 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sasilasi

sasilasi Thread Starter

Hi all
    I was downloading music from morpheus and when I went to my
    shared folder there were DAT files with the name Kazaadownload..................where............is a bunch of numbers.............Anyone know what these are , where they came from, and why. I tried to open them but i didn't have the proper program. A message said something about the system uses these types of dat files and something could get screwed up.
    Anyhow I put them in my trash, but am afraid to dump it if they are important to something else
    I'm new to this file sharing thing.

2. beach51

beach51

Hi sasilasi,Kazza and morpheus are one and the same company.Kazza is loaded with spyware,and morpheus so far is spyware free.Might be a good idea to download this free program called Ad-aware,that will check your computer for spyware components.

http://www.lavasoftusa.net

3. TechChick

TechChick

When you download files from these places, they're saved to your hard drive as DAT files with random numbers for names. They're renamed to the acutal files you downloaded once the download is complete. Sometimes if you cancel a download or it fails, those DAT files can be left behind. If you find them, just delete them. You won't be able to open them or use them because they're incomplete files.

4. kramnnim

kramnnim

It's possible to rename them to .mp3 or whatever file type it was you were downloading, and most of the time they'll play. Incomplete, of course.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65409

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice