1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

.dat files

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Barlen, Nov 18, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Barlen

Barlen Thread Starter

Have been getting attachments of family photos in jpg with no problem. Suddenly they are sent as .dat files. Any idea why? the sender is uncertain too. --More importantly, how can one open a photo with a .dat extension? Several graphic programs and Adobe won't.
    Barlen

2. Ottomatic

Ottomatic

I don't know if this is the same thing or not but I have a relative that sends me photos embedded in WordPerfect documents with the DAT extension.

3. Barlen

Barlen Thread Starter

Ottomatic,
    Thanks, but that really didn't help. I tried opening the file in Word (not having wordperfect) and all I got was gibberish. --At least it was something!!! All other programs I have tried say they can't open this type of file.
    Barlen

4. jbcalg

jbcalg

check with the sender again, something has changed on his/her machine or on yours - new software, programs etc

have you tried changing the file extension to .jpg and seeing what happens?

you never know

5. Barlen

Barlen Thread Starter

jbcalg-
    That did it!. I had considered doint that, myself, but was so ceretain it wouldn't work, that I didn't> My slide viewer opened it, even if my graphic files wouldn't.
    a quick shot at trying to get the viewer to convert this to a .tif was unsuccessful-- but at least I have the jpeg and can now play with it. (Certainly able to see what it is.)
    Thanks -- who wudda thunk it?!?!
    Barlen

6. Barlen

Barlen Thread Starter

jbcalg,
    Pardon the typos- (the last sentence was purposeful- not the other errors) It's early in the AM.
    Barlen

7. jbcalg

jbcalg

as i said - you never know!!

i had a ?? a few days ago - someone rec'd a file - all gooblygook etc, sent it to me - it was a .dat file, opened no probs iin word for me

seems like wordperfect (i assume the culprit, .dat is one of their file extensions) sometimes will 'take over' associated files
    ==>giving everything a .dat

try saving the .jpg to a different name, then hopefully your graphics prog can convert to .tif

too early???
    you west coast types have it easy - try playing the stock market at the open 9:30 EST is waaaaay early

-even here in beautiful downtown MST

glad it worked

8. metchosinite

metchosinite

My husband has the .dat problem. Every .jpg file I send him arrives as a .dat file which he cannot open. If I forward the same email back to my computer it comes to me as a .jpg file again. I tried changing the file extension on his computer to .jpg without any sucess. He doesn't have wordperfect on his computer but he has "Open Office" for his word processor/spreadsheet programHas anyone had this problem and did you fix it? He is totally frustrated.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58976

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice