1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DAT images

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by Alyse, Jan 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alyse

Alyse Thread Starter

My friend burned me a CD of photos for our yearbook, and I brought them home to work on them. When I opened up the files on the disc, however, they're all in a .dat format. Is there any way I can convert these to JPG images? Any format I can work with in Photoshop is alright too.

2. daddyhominum

daddyhominum

Does the program your friend use to burn the disk also extract the images? Maybe you can get the program from your friend?

3. hewee

hewee

Yea may need the program he used to burned the CD.
    Then look in the CD to see if there are other folders or files that may have the image in .jpg

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    By any chance did your friend create the files and CD on an Apple Mac computer and you opening the CD on a Windows based PC? I have read that Macs do not use file extensions to track file type. Ssometime that makes Windows very confused and a default .DAT extension is assigned to the filename.

Try copying one the files to your hard drive and then change its extension to something .jpg if you think it might be a JPEG file or .psd if it might be a PhotoShop file. Then try to open the renamed file.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538803

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice