1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Data and partition recovery issues

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by SilverRose, Mar 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SilverRose

SilverRose Thread Starter

Hello. I'm going to go ahead and appologize if I'm a bit unclear anywhere in this post as I'm not 100% certain how to phrase what happened. Also if this isn't in the proper forum.
    A few days ago I got the following alerts from avast.
    3/4/2010 9:22:41 PM 1267755761 SYSTEM 1216 Sign of "Win32:Rootkit-gen [Rtk]" has been found in "C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\Npfs.SYS" file.
    3/4/2010 9:23:08 PM 1267755788 SYSTEM 1216 Sign of "Win32:Rootkit-gen [Rtk]" has been found in "C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\ALCXWDM.SYS" file.
    I clicked delete when they popped up and proceeded to attempt to restart my computer in safe mode to run mbam to get rid of an "antivirus" program that installed itself on my computer. When I tried to restart though I kept getting an "Invalid form id" error and had to do a system recovery. It allowed me to keep all of my old information in a seperate partition of my harddrive though and make a new partition labeled "recovery". My question is, is there any way for me to fix the problem on the old partition and allow me to access all of my old information again? Also after I do that is there a way I can delete the new partition?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I started your own thread for you here so that we can better help you.

I'm not quite clear on your current situation. What partitions do you now have, and what is in each? Are you able to boot into Windows XP in one of them?

3. SilverRose

Hello I am SilverRose's grandson, the one with the problem. I am able to boot my computer up and run normally on the partition labeled "D:\Recovery". I can see the original C drive when I go to my computer and I can even access some files and folders from it, which is how I was able to get the warning log from avast. However I also tried going into C:\My Backup -- 10-03-04 0940PM\Documents and Settings and I recieved the error message that "C:\My Backup -- 10-03-04 0940PM\Documents and Settings is not accessible
    Access is denied"

Also for referrence I am running Windows Xp on an E Machines model number T3414 and I used the original system recovery disk that came with the computer to do the system recovery. If anyone has any questions that I have not answered I will do my best to answer them. Any help or ideas you may have will be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    To access the folder(s) that are now not accessible you probably need to Take Ownership.

I don't know enough about the Recovery procedures to give any advice about fixing the C partition.

5. SilverRose

Thank you that did allow me to access my old files, and sorry for taking so long to respond back. I am still trying to figure out the partitioning though. If anyone has any ideas on what I can do about that I would be grateful for the suggestions.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!