1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Data/Audio CD's not recognised/responding

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Freelancer_Axel, Dec 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Freelancer_Axel

Freelancer_Axel Thread Starter

Hey guys,

I hope this is the right place to post this topic, if not, im sorry ...

Two nights ago i was using my laptop (which im using now) to copy some audio books onto iTunes and then to play starcraft. at that point everything was fine, and i couldn't find any problems.
    Yesterday when i tried to resume my game, which requires the disc, i put the disc in the drive but it didnt recognize it. it would start to spin but then a buzzing/crunching noise would sound rythmicaly and seem to interupt the spinning of the disc ...

In the case of the starcraft disk, it brings up the usual;
    ''Starcraft is unable to read a required file. Your Starcraft CD may not be in the CDROM drive. Please ensure that the Starcraft disc is in the CDROM drive and press OK. To leave the program, press Exit.''
    If i click Ok, then the drive will continue to buzz and whirr for a few minutes and repeat the error indefinately.

I tried several different game CD's, Audio CD's with the same outcome .... alot of buzzing crunching and whirring, but no progress.
    I can however play my limited collection of DVD's ... which makes little sence to me.(on WMP)

I would do a back up, but the backups i have are about 3 months old now, and i stoped doing them because i ran out of disc's and i couldnt afford to spend any cash on disc's instead of books and equipment (college). I can still preform one i think, but anything that can be done to solve the problem without doing that would be great. (i feel like an idiot for not backing up)

All i can think is that in the space of ~18 hours, my computer has lost all ability to read CD's, and can only read DVD's. If i had any of the recent PC games, i would try them out since they use DVD disc's instead of CD's .... but i dont...

I dont know what else to give you other than;
    -Windows Vista (HP)
    -Dell Inspiron 1525 (Defult Model)
    the drive in question ..... HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GSA-T21N ATA Device (if that helps)
    also i updated the driver and tried again, but it told me i have the most up to date driver it can find. (6.0.6001.18000)

Any help would be appreciated,
    Axel

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/889925

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice