Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Data Compression: Dell Wireless 5520 Mobile Broadband 3G HSDPA Internal Minicard

4K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  BLUE SKY THINKER 
#1 ·
Anyone else using one of these internal minicards; they seem to be getting more popular?

My problem: previous (T-Mobile/UK) PCMCIA card & SIM came with associated software and 'Speedmanager' that allowed one to select no compression for perfect web pages/images. T-Mobile SIM via Dell minicard gives better connection, but unfortunately no control over the fairly obvious compression.

Previous T-Mobile Communications Center v2.7 software that worked perfectly had to be ditched for v2.10 (Vista) when I moved to a new laptop with that OS. In a somewhat bizarre backward step this comes without 'Speedmanager' (?). There is other laptop specific (e.g. Sony) software from T-Mobile, like the Web'n'Walk Manager v3.1 out today, but nothing for Dell.

So back to the Dell card and software; there is no facility to adjust compression in the latter and endless searching brings up no solutions, upgrades or whatever. I can get a perfect web page by pressing Ctl+F5 after each page download, but that's a bit of a fiddle each time. But the fact that one can, means that perhaps a solution is not far away; maybe in the form of alternative software or some sort of intervention (config file, modem scripts etc?).

Anyway, if anyone has got any bright ideas I would be very grateful; thanks

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.