1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Data DVD not able to be read

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Tech Teacher, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tech Teacher

Tech Teacher Thread Starter

I burned a data DVD using Nero to back up some files from my computer. Now when I put the DVD in the computer, it tells me there is no DVD in the drive. I have some files I really need. Is there a way to salvage them or have I lost them for good?
    Thanks for any help.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    1) Did you ever confirm the files were burned OK? Nero has a verify after burn option.

2) You computer specs show an internal DVD reader and external burner. Does the disc not read correctly on both drives?

3) If you look at the recorded side of the disc, do you notice a different coloration between the inner and outer area?

4) Do other burned and commercially made DVD discs read OK?

3. Tech Teacher

1. I don't remember - I made the disk last Aug and was doing several things at once.
    2. Yes, I have an internal reader and external burner. Neither drive will read the disk (as well as 2 other computers I tried.)
    3. Yes, there is a definite line where the disk was burned (I assume - yes I know "assuming" is trouble.)
    4. Yes, commercially made DVDs work on the internal drive.

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
  5. Tech Teacher

Thank you so much! I see one that looks like what I need. I will let you know how it turns out. Thanks again.

6. SB305

SB305

Sometimes you can recover the contents of bad disk by burning an exact copy of it. Try it on your burning program with the copy initially made to hard drive. The program will tell you if it can't read the disk.

7. Tech Teacher

When I put the disk in the drive, it doesn't show any files. I tried to use a recovery software and it didn't even recognize that there was a disk in the drive.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650792

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice