1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Data Execution Prevention

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by thedigger, May 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thedigger

thedigger Thread Starter

I am having trouble with a Data Execution Prevention Error. When I try to open a file from "My Music" folder or try and open a file from my desktop I get an error that says "Data Execution Prevention," and the error states that windows must close the program. I have no idea how to fix this problem without totally reinstalling XP. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much for your time,

thedigger

2. Kitch

Kitch

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Right-click My Computer, Properties, Advanced tab, DEP tab. What is checked there? You might try checking the box that refers solely to Windows files rather than all files to see if that helps.

What player are you using? There may be an update for that, too.

4. thedigger

thedigger Thread Starter

is it ok to turn off DEP for windows all together?

5. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Not if you value your security.

Early on I had this problem with my WinXP Pro SP2 system when I wanted to execute Windows Explorer, esp. when I was connected to the Internet.

I solved it by making Windows Explorer an exception.

Mostly now I do not even need that kind of assistance since previously I had made a couple of shortcuts for disk c: and disk d: which I recently deleted.

Now I just use My Computer from Start, so I should probably get rid of the exception - sometimes I notice Windows Explorer asking for clearance to visit the Internet which I always Deny since there is never any reason for it to do that.

-- Tom

6. Sculpture

Sculpture

Hi,
    I had a similar problem.
    Windows Explorer kept on crashing, or rather being crashed by the Data Execution Prevention feature (DEP) on a new machine on which I had just installed XP, Service Pack 2.
    What started it was installing Real Player, bundled with Real Download and Read Jukebox. For me the solution was to uninstall Real Download and Real Jukebox; Real Player was the only bit I wanted anyway - (and only so I can 'listen again' on the BBC Radio Player, which requires Real for this feature). It seems that some of the Real stuff looks like malware to DEP: it might even at like malware for all I know.
    Just remove the unwanted bits of the Real bundle, and your pain should go away.
    B

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/367048

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice