1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Data Lost after System Recovery

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by thekingsofswing, Jan 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thekingsofswing

thekingsofswing Thread Starter

Hi, my question concerns an HP Pavillion Desktop with Windows XP Home Edition Operating System. About a week ago my computer was degenerating to such a condition that it would no longer start up properly: it would not load some of the host process properly at start up and the desk top would not appear. The system would hang up, and the only way I could access files was in safe mode.
    So I decided to do a Full System Recovery and allow the computer to restore itself to some sort of usable condition. Upon completing the initial set up I was presented with, I pressed FINISH and the system froze again, refusing to load the desktop.
    So, perhaps foolishly, I attempted a System Recovery from the Recovery DVDs the computer had prompted me to make a while ago, as well as a few more System Restores and Recoveries.
    Finally after letting the computer run its course for nearly a day, I was able to use the desktop normally again. However, I discovered that some text documents which I had saved directly on to the desktop had disappeared. I scoured the directories looking for them, discovering that the old Documents and Settings from the previous user name (the one I had when I saved the files onto the desktop) would not allow me to access its DESKTOP folder, where I hoped these documents might be.
    These documents were not backed up in any other folder, but saved directly to the desktop.
    My question is, and I know it's probably a long shot: Is there any hope that I might be able to recover these documents?

2. GeneK

GeneK

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!