Data lost from portable drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

saleemmuhammedtc

Hi,

I would really require some help here.

I ve moved all my data in to a portable drive of 1 TB. Then I wanted to format and re-install windows. I downloaded the tool and made my portable drive itself as a bootable USB. However when it asked for "Do you want to format the drive? I clicked cancel. After that, I could see only 30GB in my portable hard disk and 899 GB are unallocated (checked in Disk Management). All my data is not visible.

How do I retrieve my data. Please some one help.

Thanks,
Saleem

crjdriver

You can attempt to run data recovery software on the drive. There are a number of free ones; recuva is one of them.
https://www.piriform.com/recuva

Your other option is to take or send the drive to a data recovery shop. Note this is NOT cheap so get an estimate. A very basic data recovery will run around $200 plus the cost of whatever media you want the data recovered to [you cannot recover to the same drive you are scanning] The price goes way up from there.

It is a tough lesson and hopefully you only need to learn it once. Data you do not have at least two copies of [on separate media] is data you do not care about and you should expect to lose said data. All drives fail; it is only a question of when your drive will fail.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online