1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

data lost

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by manishkul, Jan 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. manishkul

manishkul Thread Starter

im using p4 machine .i was planning to replace hdd (80 gb sata to 80 gb sata)
    so i planned to use ghost 8 (Symentec) for that .But while selecting source & destination drive i made mistake . i selected new hdd as source & old hdd as destinatin.
    i lost all data.so kindly suggest me what to do?
    which is best software to use in this condition for data recovery.

Kindly guide

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

3. bigbear

bigbear

How did you manage to loose all the data?
    If you were just cloning from one drive to another you should still have the source data

4. manishkul

manishkul Thread Starter

i cloned from empty hdd to current hdd(Disk to Disk)

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Maybe not in this case, but this sort of disaster becomes more common when people use drive letters to identify the drives they are working on. Different apps may assign drive letters differently and rarely exactly the same way as the operating system that is installed on the machine.

So never rely on drive letters alone to determine which partition to clone or format. You need at least to identify the partition by location or size (sometimes by contents if you can read the file list) in order to be sure you are operating on the right one. And then double-, triple-, quadruple-, and pentuple-check that you have the right source and destination chosen.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/673221

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice