1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Data migration problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lynn8518, Oct 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lynn8518

Lynn8518 Thread Starter

Ok, I have a "customer"-my friend-that lost the backlight in the computer screen so they bought a new computer. Now, I'm trying to migrate pictures from the old hard drive- a Fujitsu IDE hard drive model MHT2060AT. I hooked it up with via usb and tried to transfer files. When I go into the customers documents and settings, I already took over security for one folder to have access to see it but the information in it, word documents mainly, won't allow access to actually use them. It says that they are either in use or have full write-protection on them. I also can't access some of the other folders in the documents and settings ie- my pictures or my music and I can't seem to take those over either. I also tried to boot off of it, but it seems that the drive doesn't like doing that via USB. I did do a scan on it and it the drive says it's in proper working order. Any help?
    Already booted my computer into safe mode and took over the full control and permissions of the folders and I still can't access them and it says i still do not have access to them

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge It's My Birthday!

If you convert the drive from NTFS to FAT32 (via Partition Magic, Hard Disk Manager Pro and a host of other commercial and free software), you will have unfettered access to absolutely everything on the drive. Just be sure there are no EFS (encrypted file system) folders on the drive or they and all their contents will be lost in the conversion.

I've been doing this for several years and I've run into EFS only once and that was some kid who did it and had no idea what it was he was doing.

3. Hughv

Hughv

I've done this many times with no problem.
    How are you going about this "transfer"?
    A simple copy and paste should work.

4. Lynn8518

Lynn8518 Thread Starter

lol, yeah, I've done hundreds of data migrations with no issues. I work in IT, but this I have not come across, so no, a simple copy and paste does not work. That, of course, is the first thing I tried to do. When doing such, I was not able to access most folders or copy and paste them due to a full write-protection. When I booted into safe mode and took ownership of each folder, I still was not able to access the folders or copy and paste them. They said that I did not have access. I have already ran chkdsk to try and clean up files. However, I think that my friend may have put encryption on it not knowing what it was because she is unfortunately, computer illiterate. This is why I am nervous to change it to fat32, not including that it is unstable. I'm trying to transfer off 1500 pics of a semester abroad and a couple of school documents, nothing fancy with my "transfer"

5. Alex Ethridge

I downloaded a utility once, some time about a year or two ago, that would search a drive and list any EFS folders for you. I can't find it now and don't remember its name. Perhaps you can Google one up on your own.

If I had more time, I would try, myself, and maybe I can serach more later.

6. Alex Ethridge

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/641580

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice