1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Data missing after moving harddrive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gldean95, May 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gldean95

gldean95 Thread Starter

A little while ago my old computer finally died, my cat spilled water onto the pc and it managed to get into the motherboard and it stopped working afterwards. Anyway, I removed harddrive which had windows 7 running on it. as it was the only thing worth saving from all the hardware. I inserted it into a rig I was given by my brother that's running windows 10. After I installled the harddrive into the pc I decided i'd just use the harddrive with windows 10 as my primary harddrive, after attempting to access the files on the old harddrive I came into a problem, after I gave myself permission to access the drive I noticed the 'last date modifed' was from 6 15 2015, which was the last time I reinstalled windows 7. After looking through every windows old, program files ect I realized I couldn't find any of my saved files from the latest installation of windows 7.After looking at the amount of space left I realized it was exacty the same as when it was on my old computer. So I used a file recovery software on the harddrive in hopes of finding my most recent pictures and videos. Instead I found files that I had deleted that were from old harddrives previous installation of windows 7. So I booted up the older harddrive as the primary drive and loaded into windows 7 with the same wall paper desk top icons ect that were on the previous installation that I made in 2015. So, is there anyway to recover the files that apparently have disapppeared?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Did you have two hard drives in that computer or maybe two partitions on this hard drive? Maybe an mSATA drive on the motherboard.

3. gldean95

gldean95 Thread Starter

I didn't have two hard drives in my old pc and I don't believe I had two partitions either :/

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Did you by chance ever use an external drive and or flash drive with your old system?
    Can you post a screenshot of disk management showing the drive in question?

5. gldean95

gldean95 Thread Starter

I previosuly did use an external harddrive frequently but that died sometime duri ng 2013. I did often use a flash drive on my old computer to transfer anime and stuff. I believe this is what you're looking for in the screen shot? disk management.png Drive in question is E:

6. gldean95

gldean95 Thread Starter

7. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I'm not sure what you expect. If a file recovery program didn't find them and installing the hard drive did not produce anything newer than 2015, then they are gone.

Files that I consider important, I store in at least 2 different places, off the computer. Like CDs, DVDs, flash drives, external portable drives.

Pictures I take on trips are burned to CDs as soon as I return from a trip and before I start editing anything.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Are you sure you are looking at the correct Users directory? It makes no sense unless you aren't looking in the right Users directory or the wrong drive.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1189332

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice