data needed for upgrading

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

SavvyLady

I wonder if someone could help me on this one.
I am currently using Win 98 FE on a Hewlett-Packard Pavilion computer... its a PII Intel Celeron 300 mHz processor .,6Gb BigFoot HD, w/ a 17" HP monitor....
This thing cost me a small fortune ( $2300 before rebates )3 yrs ago... and has been a learning experience everyday I use it. ( its somewhat of a pain in the b***)
Well... I am now ready to either buy a new computer which I truly can NOT afford... or either upgrade this thing .
I want newer processing etc...

My problem is .... an HP is a priority system.... nothing will work with it. Not even Windows w/ out their enhanced drivers

This is the only computer I ever had so i know nothing about how others function... So I need help!

I'm looking for a low maintenance ..rock steady PC
I don't game so speed is not the important thing...although I do want a GOOD or GREAT multimedia system.
Please also... I am very serious about the upgrade... I can get a harddrive ( desperately needed the 6G is full ) but the celeron PII 300mHz is so slow... & the bios was flashed quite a while back also.
I have no idea which way to go and Imnot even sure what can be done in an upgrade????
anybody brainstorming this for me.... Im weathered out on what to do..
MONEY is by all means a factor.

Thanks

Savvy

They are all priority systems out there that are the main brands today.
Make your own system or have one made.
Where I live there are so many mom & pop PC stores in town so if you look you may have the same where you live.

I have a IBM Aptive P-200 and am going to get this
system here.

http://kingmicro.com/sales4.html

They have others here too.

http://kingmicro.com/

But you don't get a priority system or any junk software.
I will get Windows and whatever software that comes with the hardware and that's it for software.

Then I will have fun with my image programs and the wacom table that I will get also.

My older IBM MM70 monitor is getting fixed by the added warranty I got with it years ago.
But I need a monitor so I got a Viewsonic A95F Refurbish for $299.00 That $100.00 less then a new one. It comes with only a 1 year warranty not 3 like on a new one. But I got from Fry's for $39.96 a 3 warranty too.
It's a great monitor.

So I have no sound now because the IBM MM70 monitor had the speakers on the monitor.
But when I get the new PC I will have sound again.

I can't really help you on upgrading but post what you want to upgrade to and what money you want to put into it. It may be cheaper to get a new system too.

By the way my IBM was over $3000 5 years ago.

SavvyLady

thanks for replying!
thats very similar to the systems I been looking at... just can't make up my mind what to do... upgrade or buy new...

P4 or AMD
all the choices make my head swim

I would love to be able to just rebuild mine ... one step at a time over. Like add harddrive this week... keep on using it & then next month replace the motherboard..... then later something else,
ya know. So it doesn't affect the egg money so much...lol

I just don't know quite how to get started on doing it.

Guess its time to get off the PC & either get on the phone or go shopping

Thanks
:)

Well the AMD is cheaper and faster.
But from what I have been read the P4 Better on video encoding and that is why I want the P-4.

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,58543,00.asp

I will have to upgrade the POWER from what I have read also to 500 watts or more.

But if you are going to redo every thing in your PC it may reall be cheaper and better to get a new PC. Plus you will still have the one you have now as a 2nd PC.
That one I want has lots of room to grow.
With 9 Bays it was 7 Bays that I seen went I was there so don't know how many slots are on the front now. But the one I seen had 4-5.25 bays and 2-3.5 bays plus two more USB ports on the front.

But as you can see from the other models you can get cheaper systems. The real cheap ones had things built into the mother board so you may not want those.

Plus I get a 3Years Parts & Lifetime Labor Warranty.

I know I can build my own but I am just not up to it and I like to have a Warranty that is all from one place witch if you build your own each part has it's own Warranty.

Max19

Account Disabled
AMD computers can be very unreliable. They are usually only stable if you get AMD approved parts (power supply, case, fans, etc.) They are very susceptible to heat meaning that they can overheat easily and quickly which can cause inexplicable crashes and many headaches.

You're NEVER going to find a system that is rock steady. A Mac might come close, but a PC never will. Many things affect system stability, and one of those factors is user education. If you don't know what you're doing, you can really foul things up.

You're likely not going to be able to get a new motherboard and use your existing case. Most computer manufacturer's cases (HP, Compaq, etc.) do not accept different motherboards.

Unless you're very computer literate and know a lot about computer hardware, drivers, jumpers, cables, etc., don't even think about trying to build your own system. Look for a local computer shop in your area that builds computers. They will probably provide a good warranty and some tech support.

Also, the word you're all looking for is "proprietary" not "priority". Here's a dictionary.
http://www.webster.com

SavvyLady

Thank you... I appreciate everything you've said

heres a little quid pro quo

Max.... I said priority

1 a (1) : the quality or state of being prior (2) : precedence in date or position of publication -- used of taxa b (1) : superiority in rank, position, or privilege (2) : legal precedence in exercise of rights over the same subject matter
2 : a preferential rating; especially : one that allocates rights to goods and services usually in limited supply <that project has top priority>
3 : something given or meriting attention before competing alternatives

Yes it was suppose to be proprietary

1 : one that possesses, owns, or holds exclusive right to something; specifically : PROPRIETOR 1
2 : something that is used, produced, or marketed under exclusive legal right of the inventor or maker; specifically : a drug (as a patent medicine) that is protected by secrecy, patent, or copyright against free competition as to name, product, composition, or process of manufacture
3 : a business secretly owned by and run as a cover for an intelligence organization

how stupid of me

SavvyLady

what about a PIII... I've seen some good buys on those systems

What version of Windows?

Don't think I want XP... its to early in the game .

Savvy
The higher end PIII's are quite fast and handle graphics intensive functions well. I am currently running an WinME on a 866 PIII, Award bios, 512MB RAM, Twin maxtor 7200RPM diamond drives,
GeForce2 Mx Graphics card, and 17" Viewsonic monitor.
I keep my startup group trim and run heavy sessions in graphics.
I have never had it stumble......take that back once when I was colorizing an old 8x10 wedding picture file size 76MB I ran the session for approx 6 hours before I started to have resource problems. Approximate load time for above picture is about 4 seconds into graphics program.
I agree you should not spend the money upgrading the HP. The cost would be almost the same and you will find many of the needed changes will not fit into the box. I have an ATX case
which allows for allot of expansion and personally think components stay cooler with the extra space between them.
There are allot of good deals out there now. The current system I purchased a year ago sold for $1700.00 and is now selling for around $900.00. Unfortunately most brand name PC mfgs do not offer ATX cases in their canned units, so hewee's suggestion of smaller PC store may be an advantage since you can tailor your system. Also I would use the current unit networked and as a backup to the main system.
Just my thoughts.
Dave

A lot of folks are gonna seriously disagree about
AMD being unreliable. I'm very satisfied with my
333 and 450 AMD computers. I do have an AMD
approved motherboard, but everything else is
generic.

I can't vouch for AMD's newer, faster chips, but
I'm sure there are plenty of folks who can.

Cheers, Mac

SavvyLady

This is just what I been wanting to hear. You guys are giving me everything I need to know. Glad I posted this.

I was thinking AMD (asus A7M) & then the heat problem starting nagging at me as I stay online all the time. So what Im thinking is if I get AMD then use a larger tower & maybe an extra fan???
thats why I also started thinking PIII
P4 is too new...& cost to much

Networking the new & this old one together sounds like a good plan too. I must admit I hadn't even considered that.

Another question I have.... is about my monitor.

HP Pavilion 17" viewable ... it needs a new graphic card I believe cause i've done all the updating , drivers for Ati & for the monitor as well... still having some problem w/ color displays & font settings.
I have a black border that won't fill in properly also. Adjustments are resetting themselves after i take time to set it correctly.
So to avoid buying another, at approximately $300 - $500... can I continue to use this ( Hewlett Pack ) monitor?
Cause if all I have to buy is the CPU then I might be able to handle things financially a little sooner than I thought.

I also want a CD-burner ... any thoughts on that??

You guys are great to help me with this.... & I do appreciate it so much :)

Oh & I don't want Windows XP.... not yet anyway. So am considering Win 2000. or Win 98SE

your input is greatly appreciated

Thanks,
:) Savvy

Hey SL, :)

You're gonna want a case with good cooling
ability no matter what CPU you get. Usually
the larger power supplies have larger exhaust
fans which translate into more air flow. Plus
you never know what you'll add on later, so
plenty of power is always good.

One thing you DO NOT want is a tower with
the exhaust fan at the bottom. Heat rises,
and these cases are already fighting an
updraft to pull the heat out.

I don't think you'll have a problem using your
HP monitor, but someone else may know more
about this.

Cheers, Mac

Savvy
No reason not to use the HP monitor for the main system but what would you do for the other then? Believe it or not I purchased a Sony 17" Trinitron technology and a dell 17" with trinitron technology at www.ubid.com for $100.00 plus $36.00
shipping each. Both were refurbished units from the factory and are exceptional in quality. My Step Daughter is using the Sony for college and love it for her autocad and home construction/furnishing programs. As far as a CD RW there are many very good units out there. I have installed several different brands and have had no problems with them. Just stay away from leading edge technology since it has not been time tested.
So what if you wait a few extra minutes when you burn a CD.
As far as software Win98se Win2000 horse apiece your preference.
Dave

Note: If you do consider Ubid stay away from the private customers and stick with Ubid as seller.

SavvyLady

Thats another thing i had not considered was auctions... Hmmm... could be very promising.

I'll have to check into that one for sure...

Davey, I wish your step daughter all the luck in the world in her field... depends on where she'll be living on what she will be able to do after graduating,
I am a cerified CAD Technician
Studied the architectual field ( <-- preferred ) & mechanical.
I loved it . I went back to school & eventually graduated.
Thats been 10 yrs ago

I live in a small town in Va... & I was never able to get a job using my skills. :(

Im glad to know I got someone to ask these things..... it makes a big difference.

Thanks again

Savvy

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online