data recovery from corrupt hard drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Harsha

Hi all. My problem started a few days ago for no apparent reason. When I switch on my PC it seems to be loading windows XP as usual but before I get to the login page, it keeps rebooting (i.e. never gets beyond a certain point). I have therefore installed Windows XP home on another hard drive and here I am. I have now attached the faulty disk as a slave. This drive is completely unreadable and I have not been able to access it at all.Therefore I have not written anything or read anything off this drive. As most of my important files are on this drive & my last backup was over 2 months ago I am desperate to recover this data. Could someone tell me if there are any good on-line tools that I could use to recover my files. I don't my spending a bit on this as I am very desperate and want a good recovery tool. Thanks as usual for your support. Regards Harsha

MY first instinct is something is wrong wrong with the drive, but just for fun... you are sure both drives are using the same file system right? Most importantly the new OS isn't on NTFS and the old on FAT32?
Second is the drive seen in the device manager?

Double check all your jumpers on the slave and master drive, make sure you aren't running Cable select on one and Slave or master on the other. You might even put each drive on its own ribbon as master and see if that helps any (With windows anything is possible)

If all of these turn up dead ends you might google and try the freezer hard drive approach.

Harsha

Yes all my drives are on NTFS. Just a few clarifications. I have booted on a seperate physical drive (40GB). The one with the problems is a 80GB drive with 1 partiction. So logical 40GB each and these were drives C & D on the old system and now being recognised as G & H. Since my last post, and a recent reboot my drive H has recovered. During the boot up, I think chkdsk tookover and first recomended & then tried to fix my disk G and failed. It then tried on disk H and after a very long time finally I got back into Windows and for the first time since this problem started I am able to read my drive H. Am frantically copying data off it as I type.

In answer to your questions LoserOlimbs both G & H are being shown when I click on 'my computer'. However against H it shows the size of drive & free space available while against drive G, I see no information. Just the drive letter G. If I click on dive G it ask me to format it. I have obviously said no to this.

Dobbelina I am not sure if both drives are recognized in bios and will check as soon as I do next boot but at the moment don't want to stop copying files from the newly recovered disk. Is there any other way of checking if bios recognises both drives without rebooting? if so please let me know. Thanks alot for your help so far. Would really appreciate any help in recovering data from my other disk which actually has all the important stuff..... pls help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online