1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Data recovery possible?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TSman, Dec 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TSman

TSman Thread Starter

Someone did a re-installation of his Operating System of the C: drive using his computer's 'Acer hidden recovery partition' (the alt+f10 procedure). Then he chose 'do not back up personal data (this will wipe the entire C: drive)' during the recovery process and his system was 're-installed'. All of his personal data was in that C: drive.

Does an Acer hidden partition recovery install zero-format the disk?

Serious issue: He didn't backup his data. His data is now lost, supposedly. Would it be possible at all for me to recover all of his 'my documents' data (important financial data, years of family pictures, ..)? The data is crucial.

I called up Acer (some low level helpdesk support girl answered) and they said "no it's not possible". I don't believe them. Would it be possible to recover his data with data recovery software?

His computer: Acer AZ5610

Windows 7 Home Premium

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It is almost always possible; just depends on how much money you want to spend. The very first thing to do is to stop using the system. Pull the drive out and connect it to a working system. Run data recovery software on the drive and see what you can recover.

I use O&O disk recovery and it does an excellent job however it is not free. There are a number of free recovery apps and most paid apps have a trial version that will show you what can be recovered [you will have to pay to actually do the recovery]

If that does not work, you can take the drive to a data recovery service and have them do it for you. Note this is NOT cheap; basic costs start at $150 [plus the cost of the media to recover files to ie new external, flash drive, etc] or so and go way up from there.

3. dolymartin

dolymartin

I lost all my data from western digital hard drive, but one of my suggested me a tool that really works, it is Quickly recover Deleted Files tool which assist me to recover data from western digital hard drive . This software will guaranteed help you to recover data from your western digital hard drive.

4. adelejukerberg

adelejukerberg

Yes...., crjdriver> is right. A good data recovery software can help you out. Stop using computer and opt for a good windows data recovery software. install it in a different computer and then connect both the computer. Purpose of doing this is to avoid overwriting data and {you can't install anything on a computer in which there is no OS} now you can recover all your data.

5. adelejukerberg

adelejukerberg

Hello Dolymartin - many data recovery tools for windows are available. Do a bit research and you will get best results.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1081714

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice