Data Recovery Questions...Dell

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

stingerash

Hi everyone, I was looking for some help to answer a few somewhat basic questions. I have read around looking before posting but I was just hoping to get some more direct answers. I have a Dell Inspirion 1525 laptop that the harddrive went dead in. I dont have too much on the computer and I know I should have backed it up :( I only really need the pictures on it, which isn't too many, maybe around 400? I would like some other things, but their really not necessary. Anyhow, can someone tell me the easiest way to do all this. I know I need to purchase a new harddrive (obviously haha) but that comes last i suppose. I know I can retrieve through blank cd's. I have some knowledge of computers but pretty basic and I started reading into that option (ubuntu) but it seemed somewhat hard and complicated...Is this true? I know I could take it somewhere, but since I dont have much money right now, and dont need that much from it, was hoping I could just do it myself. I know I can buy an external hard drive and use that, but since i already have to buy another hard drive, that would just be more money, although i guess for many its worth it... any ideas on the price? Are there any other options I have is my main question? I do have a desktop computer, but its really really old and I dont think there is any memory left on it. I have 2 other laptops in my household (not mine).
I called a computer repair place around me and the man said he could take the old hard drive out and they would try and retrieve the data off of it separate for I think $50. If he couldnt, it would be very expensive to try to get it off he said. He said he does it separate from the store and it starts at $500 He said they would install windows for another $75 But here is another question,.... Isn't it just a matter of putting the windows CD in? I am sure I could figure out how to put the new hard drive in also so thats not a problem.

So basically... are those quotes in prices sound right? And do I have any other options for recovering the pictures? And the windows question from above. Thanks so much... you guys are a great help!
Ashley

Triple6

Rob
$50 isn't bad. You'd have to buy an adapter to connect the old drive to the computer once the new drive was installed and to attempt to copy data off it. Here's such an adapter: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812156017

But installing a new hard drive and reinstalling Windows is indeed easy as long as you have the CD's for Windows and the drivers.

stingerash

Do you mean that I could just buy a new hard drive which I definately have to do buy, install it in my dell laptop... and there is a way to connect the old hard drive that I will be taking out to the new one that I will be putting in with an adapter to retrieve the information? or am I reading that wrong?

One caveat to what Triple6 wrote. Accessing the old failed drive would depend on just what is wrong with the drive. If it is dead, dead, dead (no spin up, no arm movement)... then no matter how you connect it, you cannot retrieve anything from it with any software program. Windows must recognize and be able to access the drive in order to get anything from it.

There are free software programs available that may help (like Recuva) if there are damaged sectors, but as I said, the drive must be functional and accessible. If not, the only way to recover data is to pay some service that will remove the drive platters and access the information stored on the disks. Usually an expensive proposition.

Raybro

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online