1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

data recovery

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by Paintedeyes, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Paintedeyes

Paintedeyes Thread Starter

so, my hd died in my macbook pro. only had it for 10 months. pos. anyway, i was neve able to back up my data, time machine never worked, awesome. but this is very oddd. i have window running on bootcamp and it's fine but the osx partition is "corrupted and unreadable" so i was wondering if there is any software out there that i coudl recover data from a HFSJ using windows? if so, which ones?! thanks

2. nvr.bck.from.mac

nvr.bck.from.mac

i would take it to an apple store or a mac store. they will definitely be able to help you out on that.

it actually just sounds like just the system files are corrupt. if you did an archive install with the mac os x disc it should be okay. can't guarantee that, but it's something to try.
    make sure it's an archive install though. it's much much different from erase install. it'll protect all your personal files if they're still intact and reinstall the system files. whereas erase install just clears off the hard drive and installs it fresh.

give it a try, and if it doesn't work, i would take it to an apple or mac store. it's still under warranty, so you shouldn't have to pay much for it.

3. Paintedeyes

i actually took it to the apple store and they told me it's a dying hd. and they wouldn't be able to get the information off for me

4. nvr.bck.from.mac

nvr.bck.from.mac

okay... well there are places that will do data recovery professionally. if the files on your hd are really incredibly important you can go that route, but it's really expensive. like over a thousand dollars kind of expensive.

when you went to the apple store did you check it in and they tested it and everything? or did they just say "oh yeah, it's dead."?

5. Paintedeyes

hah well they're not THAT important. well he booted up from an external hd and he was like hmm i'm not likign how it's only showing 1 partition when there are really 2 blah blah. and he said that it's looking like a bad hard drive. def iwth the extremely long boot up tim.es but what i dont get is how windows is perfectly fine on bootcamp. also now the computer just shuts when putting in osx. but not with windows

6. nvr.bck.from.mac

nvr.bck.from.mac

haha... wow.
    yeah, that guy at the apple store is stupid. if he really knew anything about hard drives, he would say "that's weird... let me try doing and archive install on your mac os partition to see what happens." (okay... maybe not that exact solution, but he wouldn't just give it back and say "sorry, looks like your partition is dying..."

partitions on hard drives only go bad when it's a software thing. if it was something wrong with the actual hard drive, like the reader arm or the actual disc, it wouldn't affect just the mac partition. you'd have trouble with programs, or you would lose files in your windows. or you just outright wouldn't be able to boot up.

so yeah, try doing an archive install. if it doesn't work and you won't die if you lose your files from your hard drive you can always have apple replace it.

i'm 85-95% sure that you just had a corrupt file in your os that won't allow it to boot. and windows will definitely not read hfsj.

7. nvr.bck.from.mac

nvr.bck.from.mac

you may even want to call apple tech support. i think there's some way to check the partitions without booting. and i know there is a way to correct directory problems without booting up.
    if anything i know a couple guys that will be able to help, that i can ask and get back to you. they'll both know more than the guy at the apple store.

8. Paintedeyes

that would be great if you coudl ask them. the apple store already ordered me a new hd and it's in. i just have to bring my laptop in for them to bring it in. but if you could find out that info from your friends. that'd be great appreciated

9. nvr.bck.from.mac

nvr.bck.from.mac

yeah, i will definitely. unfortunately i won't be able to ask them until monday morning, but i'll get back to you as soon as i do.

if you live near "the mac store" i would recommend going there.

you can find one near you by going to www.themacstore.com they aren't an official apple store, but they will definitely know more than the apple store people. and if you don't live near them, you can always call any of them any time they're open.

if you want to, you can call the eugene store and ask for Evan. i will be able to tell service what's going on and ask them what to do. they know much much more than me.

but try the archive install and we'll go from there.

10. new tech guy

new tech guy

If you have a pc laying around, not to sell stuff, but this program might help you out. Its called spinrite and works very well, but you need a pc to run it on so if you have a pc laying around (this program even works on the most ancient of pcs so it doesnt have to be newer) you can just drop the hd in there and run the software on the mac drive which may recover the data: www.grc.com/spinrite

11. nvr.bck.from.mac

nvr.bck.from.mac

k... PS ... he said windows is running fine on his other partition. he's got a windows computer already.

reading ALL the posts is usually a good thing to do. :p :)

good call on the spinrite program though. it's definitely worth a shot.

12. new tech guy

new tech guy

Doesnt mean anything with a partition. Spinrite needs a true pc, not a mac that can run windows, the problem with this lies in the BIOS.

13. Paintedeyes

ah ok i just tried using the windows on my mac to attempt and didn't work out. and yes i have plenty of pc's laying around. i'm orginally a pc guy. so this would require me taking the hard drive out of my macbook pro and putting it in an enclosure or something? i know that will void my warranty. maybe i should ask the apple store to give me the old hard drive after they put the new one in?

14. new tech guy

new tech guy

You would need to install the mac hd into the pc as an internal hard disk. I would also bet that after that program runs, you could boot the system right up and pull data out as well :).

15. nvr.bck.from.mac

nvr.bck.from.mac

yeah... good luck installing two hard drives into a laptop. :/
    if you had a 2.5 to 3.5 IDE adapter you could pull that off with a desktop.
    (remember new tech guy, mac pro and macbook pro are two different machines. the "book" one is a laptop. and i did mention something about reading all of the posts.)

windows won't even read the disc format. it'll read the windows partition, but it will ask him to format it if he attempts to access the mac partition. macs will read ms-dos format, but windows won't read mac formatted discs. (vista may, but that i'm not sure about. i know xp, even sp3, won't.)

that program might even just ask you to format the partition because it won't be able to work with it (being a ms-dos based program).

the BOIS doesn't work the same way with mac computers as it does with pc's. they're more similar now with the intel processors rather than the power pc's, but this hard drive problem has nothing to do with bios.

paintedeyes, what happens when you start up your computer now?

something you can check really quick and easy. if you're getting the question-mark-folder at start up put your ear next to where the hard drive is in your macbook pro. if you hear it making sounds like it starting and then stopping and then starting again and possibly a clicking noise, your hard drive is bad. if you don't hear it at all when you turn your computer on it may have died altogether.

but at this point we'll need more details about everything going on with your hard drive. apparently you can't boot up at all..?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758142

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice