1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

data retrieval from slave hard drive

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by penny54, Jan 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. penny54

penny54 Thread Starter

I have a Western Digital master drive. I found it necessary to reformat this drive and again install WINDOWS98SE. I have a Maxtor slave drive previously partitioned into 2 partitions. Before the reformat of C, I moved important doc and pic files to the slave drive. Now I cannot access either of the partitions on the slave drive. Is this possible or have I messed up big time?

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi penny54, welcome to TSG.

Do you know if you had installed EZ-Bios on the Maxtor drive?

In your bios setup, do you have the option of booting to that drive?

Are both drives showing up in the bios?

Where are you trying to access the Maxtor drive from? And are you getting an error message? Does it show up in "my computer?"

3. penny54

penny54 Thread Starter

No, EZ Bios is not on either drive.

Both physcal drives are identified in BIOS.

I do not know how to boot to the Maxtor. Nor do I know how to check BIOS for that information. It has no OS installed (or never DID have, anyway)

I have tried to get to the Maxtor by:
    a) My computer
    b) DOS prompt

I keep getting the error message (when trying to access the Maxtor drive) that the drive is not formatted and do I want to format it now. I have always answered "no" to this question as I know this will wipe all that I want to retrieve.

4. esdxc37

esdxc37

try booting into dos using the windows start up disk

once ther fdisk<>choose the option to change fixed drive<>choose show partion info

are both partitions shown there?

5. ~Candy~

May I ask how you went about formatting the c: drive?

6. penny54

penny54 Thread Starter

In view partition inf, C is there and physical D is there, but the second partition on D is not visible.

As to the Windows installation, it was a clean install - total format first then install from CDROM drive.

7. ~Candy~

When you tried to access it before and you said you'd tried it from the dos prompt, was that a dos prompt within windows or a real dos prompt?

If it was within Windows, boot the computer and tap F 8 and choose comand prompt only....at the C: prompt type:

D:
    and press enter....what happens? If it changes to D:
    then type:
    dir
    and press enter.....any files?

8. penny54

penny54 Thread Starter

To AcaCandy:

From 'real' DOS prompt C: I only get "Invalid drive specification" when I try D: (or anyother letter, for that matter).

9. ~Candy~

And you are certain both drives are showing up in the bios and they are both being recognized with their correct size?

You can get a directory on C: correct?

10. penny54

penny54 Thread Starter

yes to all.

11. ~Candy~

I'm having a really really bad feeling here that you formatted that drive as well........ :(

Can you try this......disconnect the working drive, make the problem drive the master for the time being by changing the jumper pins.....keep your windows 98 bootable disk in the floppy drive, pop into bios to be sure that drive is showing up there as the master drive now.....exit bios after saving changes and once the drive boots up, see if you can access it as the 'c' drive.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65977

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice