1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Data Security

Discussion in 'General Security' started by Moonwhite, Mar 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Moonwhite

Moonwhite Thread Starter

I want to keep my business data save on my computer. My computer is in the store where i goes only after 3-4 weeks. I have plenty of world, excel, pdf files saved on my computer containing my business data. I want my staff to access these files. But i don't want them to copy or transfer this data. I want only them to email that data only to me when required. They should not be allowed to attached these files to their personal emails.
    Can somebody help me???

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi Moonwhite, and welcome to TSG.

If your business computer is connected to the Internet, you might want to consider using a cloud storage service to store your documents. That would allow you to access the files from any computer with Internet access.

Depending on the operating system running on your business computer and if it has Internet access, you could also consider a remote desktop connection into your business computer.

Either option would not require any of your employees accessing your computer.

3. lunarlander

lunarlander

Do you want your staff to update these Word and Excel files ?

4. Moonwhite

Moonwhite Thread Starter

No, all, but only some of these.....

5. lunarlander

lunarlander

There is no way to do what you want. Computers gives rights by 2 categories: READ and READ + WRITE. So when you grant permission to READ, the user can see the contents of the file. He can also copy and email the file. When the user has READ + WRITE, he can modify the file plus all the things he could do with a READ.

Perhaps you can put the files into a Windows account and only let a trusted employees have access to the files by giving him/her the account password.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144859

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice