1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

data transfer from one hard drive to another?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by keerbear412, Nov 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. keerbear412

keerbear412 Thread Starter

Does anyone have any recomendations for transferring the entire c: drive from one hard drive to a file on another hard drive? right now i am using cobian 8 for the software and usb/ide cable for the transferring? it is not very quick or reliable and i would rather find something a lot quicker and a lot more reliable, any recommendations will be extremely appreciated!!! Thank You!!

2. Konstruct

Konstruct

xxclone.com (free version)

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Why would you do that? An imaging program would make a complete drive backup and you would be able to restore the backup which you can't do with a backup copy. Besides, when you try to copy the C: drive, you'll find a large number of files are not copiable.

4. keerbear412

when operating systems get corrupt, I make complete backups of all data from customers hard drives, reinstall the operating system and transfer all data back onto the hard drive... any recommendations?

5. Konstruct

Konstruct

6. Konstruct

Konstruct

your back-up drive method is ok >>>> but the options above I have linked will save you MANY needless miles >>>>> your current method is the long way around the barn

BTW: if you load WIN XP more than twice a year / you will want to learn this ! I love it

http://www.ryanvm.net/msfn/updatepack.html

if you get stuck or need any help with the intergrator/ just PM me or email me

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you are talking just "data", then, no, I guess I don't have any better ideas. My impression was that you were trying to copy an entire drive in the hopes of someday copying it back to another and booting right up. It sounds like you know what you are doing.

8. Konstruct

Konstruct

I am maybe lost ????????? but why would anyone want to load an OS / install all the drivers needed for the system / perform all those updates and activations

when instead you could restore the whole boot drive or data drive from an image file taken when the machine was purring like a kitten

I have deliberatley crashes OS to show my customers you can restore the whole system in 20 - 30 minutes / just the time it takes to run the program while executing the image & easy as hell too ! (y) I could teach a 5th grader how to do this :D those 5th graders are rather smart though in case you havent watched the show ;)

9. keerbear412

Thanks Elvandil!!! Sorry Konstruct, I think i may be confusing you, My problem is i transfer data at least 2-5 times a day for various customers and computers, i do not have an image file of the operating system of when it was in good condition, and the "restore" partition usually does not work... so i am trying to find a way to do this that is not that time consuming, and that is more reliable... do you think that you could explain to me what you are talking about? i think i may be confused? Thanks :)

10. Konstruct

Konstruct

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

You might want to take a look at TeraCopy. This is one of many copy handlers I am testing in Vista. I don't have results yet, except that it works, and it is supposed to copy several times faster than Windows own method.

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

20-30 min??? I restore my system drive [approx 25gig] in 5min using acronis and booting from the acronis boot CD. I tend to think that is quite a long time to do a restore.

BTW I do agree; make an image right after a clean install with drivers, updates, etc loaded. This works wonders when someone messes up their system.

13. Konstruct

Konstruct

20-30 minutes is for a 100 gig OS partition :)

but regardless ????? its pale in comparison to a clean install and importing data ???

14. keerbear412

Thanks Elvandil and Konstruct!! (keep them coming...hehe) i am going to try these at work tomorrow and see what i can do with them.. hopefully these will be more reliable and Quicker!! Any recommendations for cables to hook the hard drives up? right now i am using ide/sata to usb cable and i have gone through four in the past four months?? i am not really thrilled with these cables.... you guys are the best!!! :)

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/656681

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice