data transfer out to another pc within lan causes cpu usage to go up to 100% lately

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ubamous3

hi, i recently have had a weird problem with my lan connection on a particular pc

when i transfer files (copy or move) out to another pc within the lan, cpu usage goes up big time, but incoming data transfer doesnt seem to cause that high cpu problem; data transfer among HD's within the pc is normal until it's going out of the pc (regardless of which hd is coming out)

all my pcs ar on win2k pro; this particular pc is a p4 3.2 ghz prescott, mobo is asus p4p800se with onboard gigabit nic from marvel; i have a pretty fast cable connection but i have no issue with internet speed; i'm just trying to figure out what causes the bottleneck that causes cpu usage to max out and make all other tasks temporarily frozen

i tried upgrading from the etherfast switch to a gigabit switch but no difference; i tried adding a second adapter while the onboard nic is still enabled, no difference; thinking may be it's the nic going south, i bought a netgear gigabit nic and disabled the onboard nic but still the same problem;

please advise as this is really bugging me; it used to not have this problem before; just started recently

oh, and when cpu peaks while transferring data out, i look at the processes through process explorer, these 2 processes are the main culprit (explorer.exe and DPCs) and at times system process as well

thanks very much

ubamous3

hi virtualme,

thanks for responding; when u say corrupt file, u r referring to the files being transferred right? or r u referring to some other corrupt system files? b/c my situation is not any particular file, it's just data outflow that causes high cpu, not even big files, even 50MB file size would make it peak for a few seconds; i havent tested its speed to see if it's up to par but that's less of a concern for me than its cpu hogging behavior

i run lavasoft adaware and spybot S&D, kaspersky antivirus, protowall, have the most recent ms updates; i dont know what else i can check

i was looking for a setting in the nic that would alleviate the load on the cpu but cant seem to find it; may be the netgear gigabit nic and the marvel onboard nic dont have that feature

The way I read it was a file in the folder he was trying to transfer, but it is possible it could be any file.

Handsome Prints

I easily located the corrupt avi file with the process mentioned in the above post (btw, the filename was preceded by TMP in case that is a flag).

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online