1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

data upload in w2000 server

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Shiran, Oct 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shiran

Shiran Thread Starter

I have a P4 maching in one of our clients office with win 2000 server installed into it its a stand alone machine conneted to a leased internet link which is used to run as a VPN client, but from recent days the VPN seems to be timed out most of the time but I was able to notice there is a data transmision through the network display ie the Link status though there is nothing sent or received ,
    Then I installed "dumeter " to check the traffic not I can see that there is some traffic sent out from the machine which I dont know how & where its been generated I also checked for viruses with the latest updated Nortaon Anyvirus but couldnt come accross any as such, also iI nstalled service pack 4 for win 200

Can anybody advice me why this happens & how to resolve this problem

2. rawmeat

rawmeat

Your first action would be to make sure you are auditing events such as logons (success and failure), object access (success and failure), Policy Change (success), account management (success and failure), priviledge use (success). To set auditing, Start - Programs - Administrative Tools - Local Security policy, then open Local policies and audit policy. You should also check what is available under the security policies. Make sure that the Guest account is disabled, and you may want to set permissions on the folders (NTFS only) to eliminate the everyone access rights. Set the permissions for known users only (this is not to be taken lightly, it must be planned well to avoid users not being able to access what they need). The print spooler folder needs access for everyone to print, and some system folders need to be able to write temp files to.

Once you have auditing turned on, you may see what is going on in the event viewer.

Hope this helps!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!