1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Datacenter Network Setup Help

Discussion in 'Networking' started by tspayde, Nov 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tspayde

tspayde Thread Starter

I am the Systems Administrator at my current job and am tasked with coming up with a network setup for our collocated servers. We currently have 5 servers sitting in our rack. We have two machines running VMWare VSphere (ESXi), two machines running CentOS (Web machine and MySQL machine), and a very large file server. I previously had everything setup behind a SonicWalls firewall. This setup was less than ideal and I am in need of a new configuration. We have a great deal of traffic to our current webserver and will soon have a great deal of traffic going to our one VSphere servers. We currently get around 98,000 unique connections a month. Here is what I am looking for:

I would like all of the machines to be able to communicate with one another on a local network. At the same time I will need multiple machines to be accessible externally. For example, I would like our web server to be able to communicate with our SQL server through a local connection (through a switch obviously). The same with our VSphere server. I would like the virtual machines to be able to communicate with the SQL server and the file server on a local network. At the same time I would like to have the webserver(s), the SQL machine and some other random virtual machines to be accessible externally. I have a great deal of IP addresses available to me (thanks to the datacenter). All in all i basically just need to have my machines to be accessible locally and externally if I need them to.

My thoughts were to have the main connection coming into a firewall and then into a router. Then the router would go to 2 switches (for redundancy?). Then have the machines connect to the switches. I guess what I am wondering is if my idea is ideal. Is there another setup that would work better? I would also like some network hardware recommendations if possible. I am currently using 3COM 100MB switches, but plan to upgrade to GB switches in the near future.

I tried to give as much information as possible, but if you need anymore please feel free to ask.

Thanks in advance.

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

What type of circuit do you have coming into your environment? When you say you'll get a gread deal of traffic to your VSphere servers, are you referring to inbound connections from the internet or more internal traffic at the data center between servers?

How big of an emphasis do you place on redundancy? What is your target up time in terms of the number of 9s? Be aware that as you build in redundancy and increase the number of 9s, the cost associated with getting there is going to go up as well above your standard implementation.

There are a number of ways to accomplish the redundancy target for redundancy such as stacked switches or technologies which create a single virtual logical switch between grouped switches. As far as firewalls go, there are ways to create redundancy there by either creating a traditional active/standby configuration or a cluster.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027164

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice