Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

date and clock

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  plejon 
#1 ·
why would my old ast advantage computer always show the time and date on startup but asks for correct date and time each time ,have changed the battery thinking that was the problem but it still does the same thing ,,the computer is my 6 and 4 year olds and they just can't restart because of this therefore it's never shut down if we can help it....help.....

#2 ·
I'm sorry I have no idea what your problem is (you explained it ok, I just don't get why it is doing that either) so I can't really give you advice in fixing it, but I hope someone else will be able to. Exactly how old is the computer? The only advice I can really offer is if you can't fix it easily, you may be better off picking your kids up a slightly newer system, such as a 33, 66 or 133 Mhz... they can go from anywhere between free and $80 (at the very most--you might have to search around though...) and people still have those around. (I do and I know of some others) Anyway, it sounds like the machine now is kinda old and it will be hard to fix any other problems you come across because people just don't know how to fix those anymore, and it gets worse with time because that is just the way technology works. It sounds like your kids won't need to use the computer for a whole lot but it might be nice to get a more reliable one. I picked up a 33Mhz a few years ago for I think $20 and it still works pretty well for anything light you decide to put it up to. (such as low-graphics games, word processing, internet... pretty much anything that doesn't require a vid card or more than 32 mb ram) It may be worth a try... --Mike

#3 ·
On the *very* old dos systems, that didn't have an internal clock, it used to be standard procedure to put the DATE and TIME dos commands in the autoexec.bat file.

Maybe you could check your autoexec.bat file. If the commands are present, you can safely delete them from the autoexec.bat file.

#5 ·
Use a text editor (such as notepad) to open the file c:\autoexec.bat Be aware that the file does not always exist on windows systems. It is possible that you will not find it. Just look for the file in the root directory of your C: drive.

In this file, check if you see two line "DATE" and "TIME"

If they are present, they will display the following prompts during startup:

C:\>date
Current date is Mon 19/11/2001
Enter new date (dd-mm-yy):

C:\>time
Current time is 8:36:49,78
Enter new time:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.