1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Date correction in Office 2007

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Dingus, Jan 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dingus

Dingus Thread Starter

Hi folks.
    Got a small problem I'm stuck at.
    When I type 2011 Word offers me a date update in the format 2001-01-27. Does anyone know how to change this to a UK setting.
    I've tried looking in Word Options without finding anything. :(

2. pip22

pip22

I think Word automatically uses the same date format that Windows is set up to use, so you change it in your Windows date settings, not in Word.

Either click the date/time area in the system tray, or Control Panel >> Region & Language

That's for Windows 7 at least, that's all I use now.

In XP or Vista the control panel item you need may have a different name, may be "Regional Settings (I can't remember exactly).

3. Dingus

Dingus Thread Starter

Thanks pip22. I had a look but I have my date settings are set as I need them in Windows, for the UK.
    I'm using XP Pro

4. bomb #21

bomb #21

"There are various ways to get a date into a document. Obviously, the most straightforward is to just type it in. If you have AutoComplete enabled on the AutoText tab of Tools | AutoCorrect, you'll even find that Word tries to help you do this (though you may not always find this “help” very helpful; and if you live outside the US, you will never find it helpful, because all language versions of Word use US date format! Unfortunately, there is no way of turning this feature off unless you turn AutoComplete off completely)."

http://word.mvps.org/faqs/tblsfldsfms/DateFields.htm , :(

5. Dingus

Dingus Thread Starter

Thanks for your help bomb.
    And could someone tell Microsoft there's more to the world than America.

6. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    I am using Windows 7 64 bit and Office 2007, I get the option to the format that you want when I use the insert date icon.

See attachment

Attached Files:

7. Dingus

Dingus Thread Starter

I get that option too Dave. The trouble is. When I enter the year 2011 without anything else, I'm offered the wrong date format for the UK.
    Word offers the format of : See attached.
    For the UK this should be day 1st, month 2nd and year last i.e. 02/08/2011. This is the top option in Word, but it doesn't change anything.

Attached Files:

8. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    I very seldom ever use the date command, I normally just type in the text that I want.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977277

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice