Date Format in Excel

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cb13h

What format do I use when I type 010106 and want it to appear as 01/01/06?
Thanks.

Hi there,

That will probably show up as just a number and wont' be interpreted as a date. The format you want to use is:

dd/mm/yy

To apply, goto Format | Cells (or Ctrl + 1) | Number (tab), choose the format in the Date list or apply your own custom format with the format supplied above.

HTH

cb13h

Thank you. You are right. The number wasn't recognized as a date. I guess it can't be done without typing the "/".

You can use the - sign if you want, but you need something in there.

Now this can be done, without adding any additional characters, with VBA if you like. But it would seem such a larger undertaking than just typing in a couple extra characters on entry.

cb13h said:
Thank you. You are right. The number wasn't recognized as a date. I guess it can't be done without typing the "/".
You guess correct. However, if you apply Zack's custom format suggestion in advance, you can then get away with typing:

1/1

for 01/01/06, which is much quicker.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online