1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dates in Excel 2000

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by pllpenta, Aug 4, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pllpenta

pllpenta Thread Starter

When cells are formatted as date in Excel 2000, they change to a 5-digit number (starting with 3). Has anybody come accross this, and does anybody know a way around?

2. rkselby98

rkselby98

I have Excel 2000 and when I format the cells in a column mine don't start with a 3 and only have 5 numbers. How are you formatting the cells?

Are you selecting the column, right clicking and then clicking format cell. Then in the formatting window click on numbers, then date and chosing the formatting style for the date you want?

Something else I "think" I heard. Check the date on your computer also.

3. bdimag

bdimag

I remember seeing dates looking like that when I used excel, but it was formated to general (or whatever the name was), just do what rkeselby98 said though..

4. pllpenta

pllpenta Thread Starter

I forgot to mention that it only changes when you show formulas.

5. mrwendal

mrwendal

I'm more than likely talking out of the wrong hole here, but isn't this something to do with the way Excel calculates the date?
    Isn't each date represented by a number? Eg. today 07/08/01 would be 37710, tomorrow would be 37711, etc.

Hey, I've taken enough from this board - It's time for me to put something back....

(I guess after this, you guys are still waiting for me to so!!!)

6. rkselby98

rkselby98

You say it only shows when you show the forumla, but doesn't it change back when you select another cell. Check print preview and see what it looks like there.

7. Gurnerworld

Gurnerworld

Just to expand a bit on how Excel treats dates.....

Excel treats every date as a number based on how many days have passed since 31st December 1899. That means that 1/1/1900 equates to 1 (because it's been one day since 31st December 1899) and 7th August 2001 equates to 37110 (because it's been 37,110 days since 31st December 1899).

Understanding this makes date calculations a lot easier to work with.

Hope this helps.

8. mrwendal

mrwendal

oh well, I was nearly right!
    ;o)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/49942

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice