1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Day of Defeat crashes when joining a game

Discussion in 'Games' started by xanthom, Oct 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xanthom

xanthom Thread Starter

Hello everyone

I have the following problem.
    When I try to run Day of Defeat (not source), and create/join a game, the game crashes me to desktop.

Memory: 4GB Ram
    Motherboard: Asus P5Q-Pro
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad, Q4950 @ 2,66GHz
    Graphic Card: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series, 512 MB GDDR3

DirectX version 10

Hope you can help me

Thanks in advance
    Xanthom

EDIT:
    I should perhaps add, that I just installed Steam on this computer and never tried it before. The computer is 2 weeks old, so there shouldn't be any hardware issues

2. Smartguy01

Smartguy01

First Name:
    Ivan
    yes, but did you updated your grapich card drivers?

3. xanthom

xanthom Thread Starter

A cd followed with the graphic card, I installed the driver from there.

And the computer runs all other games Ive tried without any problem so I wouldnt think it was a driver problem.

I thought that it maybe was because DoD was an old game and doesnt work on Vista x64bit..

4. Smartguy01

Smartguy01

First Name:
    Ivan
    System Requirements
    • Minimum: 1.7 GHz Processor, 512MB RAM, DirectX® 8 level Graphics Card, Windows® Vista/XP/2000, Mouse, Keyboard, Internet Connection
      Recommended: Pentium 4 processor (3.0GHz, or better), 1GB RAM, DirectX® 9 level Graphics Card, Windows® Vista/XP/2000, Mouse, Keyboard, Internet Connection

Do you meet these, I think yes.

5. xanthom

xanthom Thread Starter

i can play crysis on this computer, as i said, the hardware shouldnt be a problem

6. Smartguy01

Smartguy01

First Name:
    Ivan
    I'm sorry to tell you this, but I poted the system requirements for Day of Defeat source, sry didn't notice that you have the not source version, so here are the ral system requirements
    Day of Defeat
    Minimum:
    - CPU: 450 MHz Pentium III or higher
    - RAM: 64 MB
    - CD-ROM/DVD-ROM: 4X speed
    - Video: 16MB DirectX 8.1 compatible 3D accelerator
    - Input: Keyboard, mouse, and Interet connection

Recommended:
    - CPU: 750 MHz Pentium III or better
    - RAM: 128 MB
    - Input: Broadband internet connection

How you can see, it's not Vista compatible, sorry.

Hope I helped you, smartguy01.

7. Classics

Classics

Smartguy01,
    Just because it doesn't state that its Vista Compatible doesn't mean its not. I still play Starcraft.

xanthom,
    A few things

Do you have the 4850 or the 4870
    Find out and download the appropriate Vista 64 bit driver from here http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html
    Be sure to uninstall the old driver from the device manager and make sure to check "Delete the driver software for this device" befor installing the new driver.

Next go into the DoD folder and right click the main exeuctable file and select "Properties" then the tab "Compatibility" Then check "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" select "Windows XP".
    Also, if you have User Account Control enabled, Check "Run this program as an administrator"

Try running DoD again, and hopefully it will work for you. If not post back and I'll see what else I can do for you.

8. Smartguy01

Smartguy01

First Name:
    Ivan
    OK, sorry classics I didn't want to bother him with the drivers because he said the computer is new and he got all the drivers on a cd discs, so see ya, smartguy01.

9. xanthom

xanthom Thread Starter

haha its a bit embarresing because I assembled the computer myself, but I threw the graphic card box away and I dont remember which model it was...
    Does it show up somewhere on the computer? (btw. I think my driver is up to date)

P.S. Will try running with XP combatibility and Admin in a few minutes

10. xanthom

xanthom Thread Starter

Ok, I just tried running with XP combatibility and Admin, I still get the same error.

Btw should mention, when I try to join a server, 10% of the times it gets the map loaded, and I can run around for like 5 seconds before the game just shuts down

and 90% of the time the game freezes (have to go to task manager to shut it down) when loading a map at the message "Establishing network connection to server"

11. Smartguy01

Smartguy01

First Name:
    Ivan
    If you run a firewall, make sure it premits the access to the web for DoD.

12. xanthom

xanthom Thread Starter

yea i thought about that too, but why is the game crashing in single player mode also then?

13. Smartguy01

Smartguy01

First Name:
    Ivan
    Yeah , that makes no sence either. Have you tried reinstalling the game?

14. xanthom

xanthom Thread Starter

no, i will try do that

15. Classics

Classics

Smartguy01,
    I didn't mean for my comment to be offensive, and I'm sorry if it did.

That was my next suggestion. Also go into the device manager and look under "Display adapters" that should tell you the model number. If it does not, you should be able to find it on the card itself, or the Driver CD.

The problem could also be that it is not compatible in a 64 bit OS. But if this was the case I doubt that it would even initially launch.

Edit*
    Also try playing another game running off the HL Engine (CS 1.6, HL1, TFC) if passable to rule out 64bit compatibility.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759429

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice