1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Daycare or Babysitter?

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by cj2448, Jan 12, 2006.

?

Should I put my 2 month old in Daycare of w/babysitter

1. Daycare

6 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Babysitter

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
Advertisement
  1. cj2448

cj2448 Thread Starter

What am I to do?

Here is the problem:

I have a 2 month old son who was going to Grandma's while I work,
    Grandma has become very ill and I am in a MAJOR bind...I am crying like crazy because I did not want my son in childcare, but I must work.

I am looking for help on Mon, Tues, Wed, 1/2 day Thursday...I would love to find someone by the day, because if Grandma gets bettter I only need help for emergencies, amd maybe the next 2 weeks. Grandma goes to doctor Tuesday and we will know more...but this week I was STUCK! I missed Monday and
    Tuesday and Dad took off rest of the week to hang out with our little guy.

Normally my husband works Mon-Wed 6 to 6, Thursday's at 11:30. I need to drop off Braek by 7:30 and pick up by 515-
    530, Mon-Wed, depending on location.

The perfect situation would be a stay at home mom, or grandma type
    person, is what I thought. But some friends are saying to put him in daycare close to my job, because they have cameras and I can watch. And saftey issues.

I am PETRIFIED! I don't know what to do. What was I thinking! I had no back up plan and I don't know what is best to do.

I put a 'shout out' on a church website I post to and I got the following 2 responses. (Got a 3rd, but the lady was just offering to help out until I could get situated if I was really in a bind).

Soooo...DAYCARE OR FIND SOMEONE FOR HIM TO STAY WITH?????

PRAY THAT GRANDMA GET'S WELL SOON. THAT IS WHO HE SHOULD BE WITH.

HELP!
    Kindest regards,
    Christine

THERE IS A Daycare 2 seconds from work, their charge is 145 per week, havent' spoke to them to find out about only 3 1/2 days...I just didn't want him in daycare so I haven't looked into anymore than that, now, I'm not sure.
    UGH!

EMAILS I REC'D:

Christine,

My wife and I live in Senioa and she is a stay at home person caring
    for our grandkids. She would like to talk
    to you and offer any help we can. Her name is XXXX Smith and can be
    reached at (770) XXX-XXXX.
    Please call if we can help

XXXX Smith
    1ST response, this lady is an RN, for 18 yrs, has 4 adopted grandkids, ages 7,5,4 and I forget the other age(left my notes at home)...would not discuss money, thought my 'shout out' was due to financial difficulties, I told her not the case, she said we can discuss $$ when we meet on Friday, right now my 'emotional' and my son's 'physical' well being is most important, and I quote her saying this.

Stuck at home, only 1 vehicle. Close to FireStation.

This is the email I rec'd, from the husband. I have talked to this lady on the phone, supposed to meet Friday....thoughts?

HERE IS ANOTHER ONE THAT RESPONDED:

Christine,

I'm a stay at home mom of two. Both of my boys are in school during the day. However, I do watch a 3-month old little girl for a friend of ours to help them out so they also do not have to put her in daycare. I'm charging them $75.00 a week & I watch their little girl Mon-Fri 7:15 to 5:15. If you would like to talk to me, feel free to call me at (770) XXX-XXXX.

Sincerely,

XXXXX Gill

2. poochee

poochee

I have a friend who used daycare and she was very satisfied with it. Why? The kids were kept in large rooms by age group. There was an attendant in the room at all times. There was a two way mirror into each room. She could stop in anytime and observe what was going on. She used it for 2 years and was never unsatisfied. She was more at ease with daycare than leaving them with a baby-sitter.

For baby-sitting I prefer a relative or close friend.

3. Laura87

Laura87

On Long Island there is a website for our local childcare council. They help parents make the decision whether to chose private or group childcare by showing only places licensed and certified by the state. Perhaps in your area you might have an option similar to this.

I truly feel for you, I have three children and went back to work after my divorce, my youngest was 2 1/2, so I know the panic you're feeling. Good luck.

4. angelize56

angelize56 Always remembered in our hearts

Hi Christine: I know your dilemma! I was very overprotective of my son at your baby's age! Babies at that age can't tell you if they're being abused or ignored all day. Does your local YMCA accept babies in their daycare? I know when I was seeking daycare I made sure to choose only professional daycare centers...I did use two church daycares when my son was 3...one worked out....one didn't! You might want to check with your local FIA once you find someone you'd like to use...they can let you know if any complaints were filed against the person or the center you choose. You could also check with your local Better Business Bureau. While FIA also has a list of daycare providers...anyone can put their name on the list....at least here in MI. I hope your Mom gets well soon and can resume taking care of your baby!

As far as the emails....anyone can say anything they want to you and you don't have proof any of what they say is true or that they really are the people they say they are! You are wise to be leery!! I'd be leery especially with a child your son's age! Go with a reputable daycare center....that'd be my advice! Good luck with whatever you choose!

5. teengeekgrrl

teengeekgrrl

I'd put the child in a daycare center. Most babysitters are better trained to deal with older children and toddlers than very young babies.

6. angelize56

7. cj2448

cj2448 Thread Starter

Thanks everyone, for the advice. I am looking at all angles, have even called a few nanny services to see if I can get someone to watch him at Grandmas....I am STRESSED.

Keep the advice comin'!

Thanks!
    Christine

8. angelize56

Christine....that'd be awesome if you could get a sitter to come to your Mom's home! (y) :)

9. cj2448

cj2448 Thread Starter

Well, update...best friend came down to our place this weekend. 1 1/2 hour trip. She is taking Braek back with her for 3 days so Grandma, me and dad can have a rest...I'm not happy about it...but better then having him with someone I don't know.

Praying Grandma gets well quick so baby can go back with her, and have more time now to work on back up.

10. cj2448

cj2448 Thread Starter

I feel so bad, so mean........I just got a phone call from Grandma. Aunt Lisa, my hubbers sister, wants to take care of baby sooooo bad...but she has been caring for her hubbers mom and hasn't been able to commit.

WELL...I hate it, I am sad for them, the lady she was caring for passed last night.

But.....
    Now Aunt Lisa will for sure help Grandma and w/baby until Grandma get's well.

I feel bad because I am so happy things seem to be straightened out, but in the midst of my happiness, someone passed away! Isn't that terrible!?!?

11. angelize56

Great that things worked out for you Christine! (y) :) And no...your happiness is based on your life...it's sad the lady passed away....happiness can't be around us all the time...just be grateful your situation worked out best for your sweet baby! :)

12. cj2448

cj2448 Thread Starter

Thanks everyone...I still need to find a back up plan, ugh. But, for now, all is well.

Hugs to you all!
    Christine

13. angelize56

Hi Christine....for the backup plan.....don't put it off....find a reputable daycare center as soon as you can! Best of luck! :)

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/433489

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice