Daylight Savings or Standard displayed?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

seidnerm

Is there a way to know whether the displayed time on the systray clock represents Daylight Savings Time or Standard Time? There is no indication on the Date/Time Properties screens of this. There is just the check box for setting the automatic change function.

Does it even matter? I mean, do the applications even need to know?

TechGuy

Mike
Administrator
Re-opened -- Slightly different question, sorry for the mistake!

Windows 98SE may be different but in my 98 in the time and date tab directly under the calendar it says "Current Time Zone: Central Daylight Time". Is this what you want to see?

Miz

I just checked on Win98SE and, nope, doesn't tell you whether it's Daylight Savings or Standard time, just, as Seidnerm said, only a place to enable/disable automatically adjusting for DST.

If it's enabled, then the clock is showing Daylight Savings Time...if, of course, it's the right time of the year for DST. ;)

I know the Windows update engine chokes if the time and/or date is off. The computer uses the clock to keep track of when files are created, modified and accessed (information found in their Properties). Word and Excel use the clock to automatically insert the correct date on documents/spreadsheets when that feature is enabled. There are probably several other functions that use the internal clock but those are the ones I can think of right offhand.

seidnerm

Miz, would you check something for me? Open the registry and go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\

Click on the plus sign in front of "Current Version" then click on the TimeZones key and tell me what the default value is in the right pane. Mine says "Central Standard Time" :)

Here is what mine says.

(Default) (value not set)
Display "(GMT-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)"
Dlt " Central Daylight Time"
Std "Central Standard Time"
MapID "36,37"
TZI 68,01,00,00,00,00,00,00,c4,ff,ff,ff,00,00,0a,00,00,00,05,00,02,00,00,\ 00,00,00,00,00,00,00,04,00,00,00,01,00,02,00,00,00,00,00,00,00

seidnerm

I believe you are one subdirectory too far. Go back to the key "Timezones" and see what the default is there. I believe you are showing the "Central" key entries.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online