1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Daylight Savings Time - New Dates

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by pfiltz, Jan 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pfiltz

pfiltz Thread Starter

If I'm not mistaken, daylight savings time beginning and ending times will be changed this year. Am I to assume that we only have to make changes on Servers of which the clients get their time from? Outside of that, other systems that aren't server dependent such as UPS machines and such, will need the time to be changed manually?

Just curious if anyone has already started to work on this.

Sorry if this doesn't belong in this particular forum. Wasn't sure where to ask.

"On August 8, 2005, President George W. Bush signed the Energy Policy Act of 2005. This Act changed the time change dates for Daylight Saving Time in the U.S. Beginning in 2007, DST will begin on the second Sunday in March and end the first Sunday in November. The Secretary of Energy will report the impact of this change to Congress. Congress retains the right to resume the 2005 Daylight Saving Time schedule once the Department of Energy study is complete."

This was taken from http://webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/b.html

I just found this on MS. site.

Windows 2000 has passed the end of Mainstream Support and will not be receiving an update without Extended Hotfix Support.

All versions of Windows can be manually updated using the tzedit.exe utility or other techniques documented in Knowledge Base article 914387 and similar articles for other countries, which is the preferred method of remediation for any product outside of Mainstream Support. (The tzedit.exe tool allows you to create and edit time zone entries for the Date/Time settings in the Control Panel, especially for daylight-saving time).

At this link. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/timezone/dst2007.mspx

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I notice they don't even mention Windows 98 or Windows ME. :D I guess there's a message there...

3. Old Rich

Old Rich

There is an update for this in Windows Update . . in the Other Software section

4. JohnWill

For W98?

5. JohnWill

Just fired up W98, went to Windows Update, I don't see anything that addresses DST changes anywhere.

6. pfiltz

pfiltz Thread Starter

Thanks guys.

I just ran the tzedit.exe on my 2K prof box. Very easy to run. My concern is our 2000 servers. I have 4 to be set. All clients get time from them. I'm assuming date as well.

7. Old Rich

Old Rich

opps . . missed the reference to win98 . . sorry

8. JohnWill

Yes, the TZSET does the time and date.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538512

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice