Dazed And Confused About Dos

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

lil1fIsh

WHAT IS THE COMMAND LINE FOR VIEWING THE LIST OF FILES IN A GIVEN DIRECTORY. I'M NOT EXPERIENCED IN DOS ...i ENTERED DIR FOR A CD IN MY DRIVE AND IT GIVES ME THE NAME OF THE DIRECTORY ...BUT I NEED THE LIST OF FILES IN THAT DIRECTORY. MY HARD DRIVE IS TOTALLY FORMATTED SO I DON'T HAVE WINDOWS ...I HAVE A GOOD BOOTDISK ....I WANT THE FILES IN THAT DIRECTORY SO I CAN LOAD THE OPERATING SYSTEM. PLEASE HELP!:confused:

CD <Directory>
DIR /W

This will list the files in columns for easier reading.

Frank

In general, you can find out the syntax and options for a DOS command by invoking it with a /? parameter. For example, dir /? will print a usage message that shows the command syntax and the various acceptable parameters.

Hope this helps.

And the HELP command displays a list of all available DOS commands and a short description of their function.

Only a few DoS commands are actually needed to load the higher
operating systems like windows.
Generally if the higher OS is removed leaving just the DoS
system commands, these are often just a minimum set.
You can find all the DoS commands available for download on
various places on the internet.
You may find you only have a basic set of commands.

Regards, John :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online