1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DBAN Resources and post-DBAN operation...

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by slyvone, Jan 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. slyvone

slyvone Thread Starter

Hello out there. I going to dispose of an old PC but want to ensure any and all data is not recoverable from it.
    However I am an intermediate user at most and completely unfamiliar with the whole BIOS/CMOS/load etc. operations of a computer.
    Basically I am looking for a step-by-step (or at least an easy-to-understand) guide to running this data wipe utility.
    Anybody know of a website where I can get info??

2nd Question - I'm also thinking of keeping this computer after wiping it for the purpose of improving on my above mentioned technical inadequacies.
    So is this DBAN tool a final operation to run or are you able to use the computer agiain after? i.e. Load an new OS, programs etc.

Thanks for all your help!!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

DBAN just erases everything on the hard disk. You can certainly reload Windows or Linux, or whatever O/S you'd like to run after you're done. No hardware is sacrificed by running DBAN. :D

Did you look at the DBAN page and scroll down to the FAQ and the like? It's a pretty simple utility...

3. slyvone

slyvone Thread Starter

I looked at the DBAN page but it sounds beyond my tech expertise. Anyways, I will give it a shot and see what happens.

Thanks for the response!

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Since you want to erase everything off the machine anyway, you can't do any damage with DBAN! :D:D:D

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/431400

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice