1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

.dbx Mail Messages Won't Import

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Hujambo, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hujambo

Hujambo Thread Starter

I am unable to import my .dbx mail messages from my directory backup folder. The mail files may have become corrupted after compacting. The compacted .bak files showed up everywhere. The directorty backup folder appears to be in tact. I just can't import and load the OE6 program.

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

you need to point the import wizard to the folder the .dbx files are in . . not the files themselves. How did you back them up? . .

3. Hujambo

Hujambo Thread Starter

The entire Outlook Express backup folder exists in the directory with all of its files. The entire message folder will not let itself be imported using the standard import procedure ... which I have used countless times. All the message files in the backup folder appear to be corrupted. Can that be undone for installation purposes?

4. Old Rich

Old Rich

How did you back up the files?

5. Hujambo

Hujambo Thread Starter

My entire Outlook Express folder has been backed up on CD. I also have the original folder in the directory. Both will not import.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Is the folders.dbx file on the CD as well?

If you have .BAK files try renaming them to .DBX files and see if the you get back your missing mail. Thats the issue right, you've lost some or all of your email?

7. Hujambo

Hujambo Thread Starter

My CD Outlook Express backup consists of the entire Outlook Express folder (which is located at the designated store location). Inside of the Outlook Express folder are located all of my .dbx message files. It's this folder and the files which will not import.

I no longer have any .bak files. They disappeared as fast as they showed up. In the process they seem to have corrupted my .dbx files.

I lost my entire mail (it removed ityself) from the program. The actual .dbx files, however, are styill very much alive and present in the Outlook Express folder in the directory.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    How big are the current DBX files?

Any backups from the compacting procedure in the Recycle Bin?

9. Hujambo

Hujambo Thread Starter

Under Outlook Express there are approx. 200 .dbx folders with a great many subfolders or files. The total size is 250 MB. I usually store up to 500 MB of mail before I start removing it.

This .bak and .dbx collision took place about 2 weeks ago. There is nothing left in the Recycle Bin.

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Sorry, are you missing the contents of every folder or jsut just ones. If the current size is 250MB then you still must have some messages.

Try copying the folder from the CD to a location on the hard drive and try importing. For that matter you can rename the current Outlook Express identities and just copy the previous copy of the folder to the correct location and it should show the messages in OE when you open it up. If it does then maybe you can try importing the current folders to get back any new email since the backup.

11. Hujambo

Hujambo Thread Starter

The entire content of my Outlook Express folders and files (about 250 MB) are located in the store location of my directory and cannot be imported. As far as I can tell, all files are present. Ever since the mishap, I started saving new mail in newly created folders and files.

12. Hujambo

Hujambo Thread Starter

Th dbx file folders are sized from a few KB to multi MB. There is nothging useful in my Trash Can.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/597384

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice