1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DCHP Server problems

Discussion in 'Networking' started by weslee, Oct 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. weslee

weslee Thread Starter

I'm not sure how many people here are familiar with Server 2003, but I'm struggling...

I am attempting to set up the server with the DHCP role. Are there any other "roles" that I need to install before DHCP will work? I have set the scope (192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.20) and I have "reserved" the 192.168.0.1 address to the server itself (using its MAC address as required). Nothing with it seems to be working. NONE of the computers on my network (4) are not getting IP addresses.

I really need to get this working so that I can start sharing my internet connection (using the "Remote Access/VPN Server" role -- NAT)

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
    -Wes

2. sergei

sergei

I'm not too familiar with Windows 2003 Server but i've played around with it a little. Cant you just shut off the roles and try to have everybody connect up then?

3. Rockn

Rockn

Is there a router on your network that is also trying to act as a DHCP server?

4. weslee

weslee Thread Starter

There is no router on the network, and no sergei, I am not going to settle for the "private IP addresses" that are asigned to computers on a network when no DHCP server is present. I need to get DHCP working WITH the "remote access/vpn server" role. I do realize that I could go the simple way with "sharing" my internet connection on my server, but I want to have more control over it .. meaning that I need those two roles set up. As a side note, I did get DHCP working when I manually made my IP address (for the LAN) 192.168.0.1.. so I guess you have to manually set it before DHCP works properly. As soon as I added the "remote access/vpn server" role though, DHCP stopped working! So now I'm wondering why. I'm at a loss.... I've searched all over google, but can't seem to find what I'm looking for. Any other ideas?

-Wes

5. rickmac

rickmac

You planning on using the VPN protocol to run this? You dialing into this computer? That is usually what remote access is used for. NOT for computers on the same net. How are these other computers communicating with the server?
    Believe you want the Windows 2003 server to be the gateway also?

Check out this site:

http://www.wown.com/articles_tutorials/DHCP_Server_Windows_2003.html

6. weslee

weslee Thread Starter

I am not intending on actually using VPN. Under the remote access role, it gives me the option so that I can use it as NAT. I understood that to mean that it'd give my LAN access to the internet. After thinking this through again, I think I need to re-phrase what it is I'm asking here. What I want to know is how to keep my server using the DHCP role, but how to use it with sharing an internet connection at the same time, that's what I really am attempting to do (if that makes it any more clear). I'll check out that site and post back later today. Thanks!!

-Wes

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!