1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DCHP/TCPIP Warnings + Modem Restarts

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Boo_Compaq, Apr 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Boo_Compaq

Boo_Compaq Thread Starter

Alright....since ISP techies are of no help, im hoping someone here can help me find the exact cause of this problem.

My cable modem (directly connected to 1 computer), 2 weeks ago started randomly disconnecting for a couple days. Then went back to normal until a couple of days ago. Then it started the same problems.

EDIT: I have Windows XP Pro with all updates and current drivers.

Here are the warnings i get in event viewer (first one is listed as 'information'):

Information: Tcpip

The system detected that network adapter \DEVICE\TCPIP_{C01B0308-4A36-46A7-A1D7-25901F7E127C} was connected to the network, and has initiated normal operation over the network adapter.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Warning: Dhcp

Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 00508DF766D4. The following error occurred:
    The semaphore timeout period has expired. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Warning: Dhcp

Your computer has automatically configured the IP address for the Network Card with network address 00508DF766D4. The IP address being used is 169.254.92.240.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The cable techie came and tested the cable signal (while the connection is working fine....guess they dont understand what 'intermittent signal' means :rolleyes: ) for 5 minutes, then left.

It is connected by ethernet cable directly into the mobo's NIC. The lights are as follows:

Activity light goes off (supposed to flash), cable stays solid (normal), pc link is flashing (normal) and power is solid (normal). Then the modem resets and powers up again (all lights go off, power flashes, pc link joins in flashing, cable joins in flashing, activity flashes a couple times, then all lights go back to normal).

My main goal is to isolate the problem, but resolving with no cost to me would be awesome :D

Any help is appreciated

2. Boo_Compaq

bump...right now it hasnt been doing it, but i want to make sure it doesnt happen again.

please help :(

3. Boo_Compaq

Bump

It started doing it again today....i really need some help here....if you have any idea why its doing this, please let me know

4. Rockn

Rockn

Sounds like DHCP isn't updating correctly and XP is assigning a default Windows IP address. Do you have a personal firewall running? I would contact the ISP to find out why your DHCP adderss isn't updating properly.

5. Boo_Compaq

Yes windows does auto assign the ip address...but thats not the problem. The cable modem then resets and re-obtains an ip address from the DHCP server.

I already contacted the cable company as it says in my original post, and they sent a technician out....(tested signal for 5 mins while it was working, then left)

So basically, they are of no help to me. And the phone tech support people cant do anything past say one of the following things:

1. Try unplugging your modem for 30 seconds, then plug it back in and restart your computer.

2. I'm going to have to send a technician out there.

And since technicians are obviously useless, i've come here :) I dont need help on why windows is auto-assigning that 169.254.XX.XXX, i need help on figuring out why my modem keeps shutting off and restarting.

EDIT: I have zone alarm, but its not running, and i havent been running it

6. angel

angel

Personally, I think if the modem itself is randomly resetting (rebooting) as you stated, that's the main prob in itself and is what is causing your ip/dhcp prob. Have them replace your modem and see what happens.

7. JohnO28356

JohnO28356

A friend of mine (comp illiterate) had the same problem with Time Warner's Road Runner. I called RR's tech support and described the problem, a tech came that afternoon and installed a new modem. Problem solved. Hopefully yours will be that simple.

8. Boo_Compaq

Perhaps you're right....I wonder if my modem is still under warranty...lol..or maybe i wont even bother....

Thanks for your help guys....i hope this works (y)

9. JohnO28356

JohnO28356

Sounds like you own your own modem. I have Road Runner, and there's no charge for the company's modem. I wouldn't buy one for several reasons: The company may have to make a change to the system; Problems such as yours; I think any tech support you may need form the cable company might suffer (first thing company tech as me was the make/modem number).

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/218519

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice