Dcrane7

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Billydon

I bought a Computer from RentACenter in 1999 and they did not give me a Restore disc. Last october they gave me a copied restore disc but no key number, now they say i will have to purchase windows xp and install it the cost is $200, at circuit City. I only need the key number to make it run, Is there any way to get windows to operate (I am on windows 98) or can i get a restore disc to make it run, also will "XP" run on my Packerd Bell -- it operates at 300 megs.

You are below the recommended CPU speed for XP.
Realistically the minimum is about 400 - 500 MHz, and 128MB RAM

MS recommend about 350 MHz, but it will not "run" at that speed, only "walk".

If tou own the copy of 98 already installed, download and run the "magic jellybean" program (Google will find it using those words) and it will give the key for the version installed now.

Hulk701

Banned
Billydon said:
I bought a Computer from RentACenter in 1999 and they did not give me a Restore disc. Last october they gave me a copied restore disc but no key number, now they say i will have to purchase windows xp and install it the cost is $200, at circuit City. I only need the key number to make it run, Is there any way to get windows to operate (I am on windows 98) or can i get a restore disc to make it run, also will "XP" run on my Packerd Bell -- it operates at 300 megs.
I'm a bit confused, are you looking for the restore key or the Win98 key (or are they the same?) . If you are looking for the Win98 key you can find it quickly by going to :

Start>Run> and type

REGEDIT

Then click OK

Then under EDIT>FIND type

productkey

and it'll give you your Win98 key, ;)

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Billydon:

You didn't say why you need to run the restore CD. Are you still able to use this computer and connect to the Internet? If the store gave you a "copy" of a restore CD, there's no guarantee that it's for your computer make, model, and model number. If it's not, it woPackard Bell computers are so problematic and of low quality that they're not even allowed to be shipped and sold in the U.S.A. anymore.

Forget about trying to install Windows XP in that dinosaur. Besides the fact that the processor is too slow and it doesn't have near enough RAM, the hardware most likely isn't compatible for the upgrade.

You'd be much better off investing $600 - $800 in a quality low-end computer outfit.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online