1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dd command

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by BTex, Sep 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BTex

BTex Thread Starter

A big part of my job is using the ghost software to collect and maintain customer images.
    But now I have found somthing that i cant ghost. (hidden partition) I have been told to boot to a knoppix cd and use a DD comant to sent a customer image tu to a server. (the server runs 2003 server. ) i figure i have to have a shared drive to do this, and that is about all I know a little advice would be appricated
    Randy

2. saikee

saikee

I think in Linux hidden partitions are distinguished from the others just by the file type and hence they are accessible in Linux.

In dd the partition is copied sector by sector in native mode and hence the content and file type have no effect on the command.

I am not too sure about the consequence of dd a source partition to a target partition of different size and have so far use dd successfully on partitions only of identical size.

Also I haven't found out the exact reason why but using Suse 9.1 professional I can dd a 10Gb partition in about 4 to 5 minutes but it takes 1.5 hours on Knoppix 3.4. Both of them run 2.6 kernel but Suse does support 64 bit AMD processor which I got one in in the PC.

I haven't found any software that can touch dd in term of performance and speed after trying to clone a 200Gb hard disk. Ghost took over 3 to 4 hours but Suse can dd it in 1.5 hours. The hard drive has XP and a bunch of Linux distros inside and multi-bootable as the original after cloning in both cases.

3. tsunam

tsunam

You should be fine backing it up since dd just copies the information byte for byte

lets say for instance this hidden area is on the first hard drive partition 3. You'll do a

dd if=/dev/<partition> of=<filename> (creates one of equal size)(i'll have to look at the man page for how to tell it to compress it)

if you just want to automatically take it and shrink it do a

dd if=/dev/<partition>| gzip -(1 or 9 depending on if you want fast or best compression) | dd of=<filename to gzip to> (that Should work....testing it now(1 gig with 9 compressed down to 1/2 size, 1 its down to about 2/3rds)so there is a difference, jsut depends on how large it is and how long yo uwant to commit to backing it up)

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

5. tsunam

tsunam

that looks quite interesting LwdSquashman...I might have to look at it myself.

6. saikee

saikee

Sounds delicious to me too!

7. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

Just a warning... because it's gzipped it's sensitive to corruption (being one file). Make sure it's a good connection/medium you're using. I'd also md5 it at both ends.

8. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

well yay saikee's back. ps i did that dd stuff and the grub didnt work. so since this thread is about dd i'd like to pop in. i'll tell anyone here if i find anything helpful but saikee could you come to my grub problems thread or my xp+linux+98 thread (whichever one the moderator didnt close)

9. lynch

lynch

I believe partimage will save images across networks.
    HTH
    lynch

10. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

wow i linux tool i wish i woulda used that before i nuked my old computer. darnet well i may use it in the future, i always back up partitions before i reformat but i sure wish i coulda used partimage. i woulda just sent it 2 my new box.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/268933

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice