DDR memory

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Toyman

I'm building a PC and going through tiger direct. My question is........ is all DDR memory 184 pin? It seems all the memory listed assumes I should know this but I don't. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Generally yes, there are a couple of oddballs

JEDEC Specifications and Naming Convention

The specifications for DDR memory modules are developed and approved by JEDEC. JEDEC is the semiconductor standardization body of the Electronic Industries Alliance (EIA). About 300 member companies representing every segment of the industry actively participate to develop standards to meet the industry needs. Kingston is a long-time member of JEDEC and is active on the JEDEC Board of Directors as well as a number of memory technology committees.

JEDEC has completed specifications for PC1600 and PC2100, which are now widely available. Development work on faster DDR memory products is on-going.

JEDEC 200/266MHz DDR Specifications Summary

184 pin DIMM, ECC or non-ECC
200 pin SO-DIMM, ECC or non-ECC
172 pin Micro-DIMM, non-ECC
2.5 Volts
SSTL-2 I/O Interface
CAS Latencies: 2, 2.5
Serial Presence Detect (SPD) Support
Support for Memory Chip Stacking
DDR naming convention recommended by JEDEC:
Memory chips are referred to by their native speed:

For example, 200 MHz DDR SDRAM memory chips are called DDR200 chips, and 266 MHz DDR SDRAM memory chips are called DDR266 chips.

DDR modules are named after their peak bandwidth, which is the maximum amount of data that can be delivered per second:

A 200 MHz DDR DIMM is called a PC1600 DIMM, and a 266 MHz DDR DIMM is called a PC2100 DIMM.

See the DDR Memory Bandwidth section for details on how bandwidth is computed.

Toyman

Thanks Brian, I should have put my thoughts together first.

I am about 90% sure it will work but still had just a little doubt.

This is the MB I'm getting and the memory

MB
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?sku=MBM-AK31-1100

Memory
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?sku=TC1-DDR-256

This is my first PC i'm building and I was hoping I would have it up and running by Christmas and the only thing that I had doubt about was the memory being compatible.

Thanks again...

Say Brian... do you know if JEDEC is developing DDR RDRam? If they did would it still be 184-pin?... since pc-800 RDRam is also 184-pin.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online