1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DDR memory

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Toyman, Dec 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Toyman

Toyman Thread Starter

I'm building a PC and going through tiger direct. My question is........ is all DDR memory 184 pin? It seems all the memory listed assumes I should know this but I don't. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Toyman

Toyman Thread Starter

3. brianF

brianF

Generally yes, there are a couple of oddballs

JEDEC Specifications and Naming Convention

The specifications for DDR memory modules are developed and approved by JEDEC. JEDEC is the semiconductor standardization body of the Electronic Industries Alliance (EIA). About 300 member companies representing every segment of the industry actively participate to develop standards to meet the industry needs. Kingston is a long-time member of JEDEC and is active on the JEDEC Board of Directors as well as a number of memory technology committees.

JEDEC has completed specifications for PC1600 and PC2100, which are now widely available. Development work on faster DDR memory products is on-going.

JEDEC 200/266MHz DDR Specifications Summary

184 pin DIMM, ECC or non-ECC
    200 pin SO-DIMM, ECC or non-ECC
    172 pin Micro-DIMM, non-ECC
    2.5 Volts
    SSTL-2 I/O Interface
    CAS Latencies: 2, 2.5
    Serial Presence Detect (SPD) Support
    Support for Memory Chip Stacking
    DDR naming convention recommended by JEDEC:
    Memory chips are referred to by their native speed:

For example, 200 MHz DDR SDRAM memory chips are called DDR200 chips, and 266 MHz DDR SDRAM memory chips are called DDR266 chips.

DDR modules are named after their peak bandwidth, which is the maximum amount of data that can be delivered per second:

A 200 MHz DDR DIMM is called a PC1600 DIMM, and a 266 MHz DDR DIMM is called a PC2100 DIMM.

See the DDR Memory Bandwidth section for details on how bandwidth is computed.

4. Toyman

Toyman Thread Starter

Thanks Brian, I should have put my thoughts together first.

I am about 90% sure it will work but still had just a little doubt.

This is the MB I'm getting and the memory

MB
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?sku=MBM-AK31-1100

Memory
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?sku=TC1-DDR-256

This is my first PC i'm building and I was hoping I would have it up and running by Christmas and the only thing that I had doubt about was the memory being compatible.

Thanks again...

5. brianF

brianF

Well I see no reason it won't be

6. Toyman

Toyman Thread Starter

Thanks for checking it out Brian....

7. deuce

deuce

Say Brian... do you know if JEDEC is developing DDR RDRam? If they did would it still be 184-pin?... since pc-800 RDRam is also 184-pin.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61951

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice